*I’m splitting my original entry to 3 small ones by each main point, as I realized it went way over the 200-word limit.

Recently I read an interesting article on BusinessInsider which talked about the flaws in our brains that subconsciously affect how we behave on a daily basis. One of them, though not as surprising as the others, seemed fascinating to me: The confirmation bias. It states that the majority of us want and try to surround ourselves with people  and things that present the same believes. For example, you would rather get along with people who share the same opinions as you do, read the articles that share your topic of interest, and of course, ignore ones that do not (which I hope is not happening now). The article considered this phenomenon a flaw, and advised readers to challenge their beliefs on a regular basis. Basically, it claimed that we’re reluctant to change, and (ironically) had better change it. This kept me thinking. About Change.

Throughout the course of history we human have witnessed so many stories about great leaders and visionaries who seem to be born a genius and just keep on being themselves and defying other trivial beliefs to eventually arrive at greatness. In fact, many of them have become popular inspirational anecdotes, such as one about The Beatles when they were told that their music sucked, did not care, and went on to become worldwide famous. But is never agreeing to change really the case, or is it the opposite as suggested by the aforementioned article?

[..continued below]

Comment now!

Trackbacks