Häagen-Dazs in China

After browsing through the blogs, one of Fiona Zhang‘s blogs attracts my attention, which was talked about Häagen-Dazs is luxury in China. I agree with her perspective and I want to analysis more about it.

As we all know, Häagen-Dazs is sold cheap in convenience stores in North America, but in China, it is sold extremely expensive in specialty stores. What makes this so different? I would say that Häagen-Dazs is making different marketing strategies in different countries. In China, Häagen-Dazs creates a high level brand positioning. It sets a high-value consumption of its brand, and targets customers who earn high level of income. It uses the high price products to create the high level of brand name.

However, such high-price ice cream shouldn’t attract many customers and make more profit. How does Häagen-Dazs do it? Häagen-Dazs knows well that people want to show off with their wealth and luxury. Secondly, the decoration of the stores can help customers relax and enjoy their time. Thirdly, Häagen-Dazs introduced some products combing ice cream with traditional Chinese food, such as the ice cream moon cake. All of those are the elements to attract customers with high prices and make profit in China.

http://blog.generalmills.com/wp-content/uploads/mooncakes2.jpg