My Ground – STP at its Best

The following is a video that not only appeals to me because of my love for soccer, but is also an exceptional example of STP done right.

With an organization as large as Nike, I imagine one of the challenges with segmenting would be achieving a balance between catering to a segment that is large enough (substantial) and one that is distinct enough from the general population (identifiable). Through videos such as this, Nike demonstrates its ability to find this balance. The “My Ground” video stands out because of how well it finds this balance. Little geographic or demographic segmentation appears to have done for the Nike soccer shoes, based on this video, and this allows Nike to cater to a broader segment base. In terms of the segment attractiveness criteria, this results in a more substantial potential target market. However, we see clear evidence of psychographic segmentation whereby individuals whose lifestyles include sports and active living are the focus. By including professional footballer Andres Iniesta, Nike is also able to demonstrate that although recreational athletes playing in their hometowns can use these shoes, so too can professional athletes playing for the world’s biggest teams. What I found most interesting however, was the middle of the video where Iniesta discusses the importance of taking chances. Although the video is about soccer, these lessons appeal to a broader audience, and in this way, even sports fans that might not play soccer will be engaged, building Nike’s brand power. These viewers might then purchase Nike equipment for the sport they do play.  Returning to the segment attractiveness criteria – the result of this is a more substantial and, because of the emotional connection, more responsive target group. Not only does the video thereby inspire soccer players to purchase Nike cleats, but it builds Nike’s brand, and in the long-term this is the real accomplishment of “My Ground.