Reflection

My experience in marketing this semester has been very positive for the most part. The marketing assignments were engaging, and I particularly enjoyed the opportunity to work in a team environment. My only critique of the class is that at times it seemed as though we were memorizing lists more than we were learning how to be successful at marketing. However, the marketing assignments offered the opportunity to put to practice the terms and theory we learned during class, which was very positive.

In my mind, the ideal project is one which is both engaging and worthwhile in terms of knowledge gained. I strongly feel that the marketing plan assignments meet both these criteria. The video assignment offered us a creative outlet, as well as to summarize a semester’s worth of learning into a cohesive presentation. In this way, not only was it engaging, but it also served as an invaluable learning tool. Working through the problems that Blackberry faces and potential solutions, I found myself gaining a much better understanding of what marketing is about. I also gained more appreciation for the class lectures. Although some of the lists and concepts may seem tedious at first, when put together they make marketing a very interesting field.   I feel very fortunate to have had a group that I enjoyed meeting and collaborating with, and am grateful for the opportunity provided by the assignments to apply my newfound knowledge.

In summary, I entered Comm 296 having heard some marketing terms. I had “swagger without substance”. Leaving Comm 296, I have learned how to use these terms in a meaningful manner. As Seth Godin said – “the rule is simple: it’s essential to act the part. And it’s even more important for it to be real”. Thanks to Tamar and Comm 296, the knowledge I have now, is real.

Pepsi Meets Jeff Gordon Meets Kyle Yoshida

The following is a response blog to Kyle’s Yoshida’s post on Pepsi’s “Test Drive” Viral Video. Please see here for his post. 

I greatly enjoyed the video, and found it to be an exceptional example of how effective viral videos can be when done well. I found it how interesting that Pepsi did not choose to explicitly say anything that would encourage buyers to purchase their product. Instead, they used product placement, and left it to the viewers to decide for themselves. The video builds Pepsi’s brand, and associates the Pepsi name with excitement and thrill in the consumer’s mind. This builds the long-term brand power of Pepsi, as thrill-seeking youth buy into what Pepsi represents.

I think the challenge with viral videos is that it is not easy to get these videos to go viral – I imagine we probably underestimate the difficulty of this because we only see the viral videos that have been successful. For every successful viral video there are likely hundreds if not thousands of failed attempts.  In this particular case, I think the effectiveness of the content helped Pepsi’s video gain views rapidly. I think Pepsi’s decision to use more subtle marketing in terms of the product placement may have helped this. If the video had had Pepsi plastered all over it, the average viewer might be less willing to post it on his Facebook, for example. Because the video is more about the test drive and less about Pepsi, even viewers who have no real attachment to Pepsi will be willing to share it, and create a ripple effect in terms of view count. All in all, an interesting piece of marketing.

Liquid Breakfast – Better than Breakfast in Bed

Marketing is about satisfying customer needs and wants. Often, companies compete with others to fulfill these needs or wants in a standardized manner. Think Kellogg’s Corn Flakes competing with General Mills’ Cheerios. Occasionally, these companies revolutionize the industry by finding an innovative new way of fulfilling the need. Enter liquid breakfast.

Both General Mills and Kellogg, amongst other smaller names have identified a growing desire for on-the-go breakfasts. Environmental scanning is important for marketers wishing to remain relevant in an ever-changing world. These cereal giants were able to connect social trends towards a time-poor society with a desire for a quick-and-easy breakfast. Since then, smaller names such as Oatworks have tied this social trend with the trend towards an increasingly health conscious population – the result of which is a niche market with mobile breakfast options for individuals looking to save time while still starting off the day with a nutritious jumpstart.

The interesting thing about this product innovation is that it arises in a highly mature industry – the breakfast foods market. Although we often associate product innovation with Apple and technology, this just goes to show that product innovation is possible in virtually any industry, just not as obviously as it is in others.  In an area where the biggest changes are generally the amount of sugar in a bowl of cereal, the move towards liquid breakfast should inspire new interest, and most importantly, fulfill new customer desires. For Kellogg and General Mills, customer satisfaction should translate to business success in the long-term.

My Ground – STP at its Best

The following is a video that not only appeals to me because of my love for soccer, but is also an exceptional example of STP done right.

With an organization as large as Nike, I imagine one of the challenges with segmenting would be achieving a balance between catering to a segment that is large enough (substantial) and one that is distinct enough from the general population (identifiable). Through videos such as this, Nike demonstrates its ability to find this balance. The “My Ground” video stands out because of how well it finds this balance. Little geographic or demographic segmentation appears to have done for the Nike soccer shoes, based on this video, and this allows Nike to cater to a broader segment base. In terms of the segment attractiveness criteria, this results in a more substantial potential target market. However, we see clear evidence of psychographic segmentation whereby individuals whose lifestyles include sports and active living are the focus. By including professional footballer Andres Iniesta, Nike is also able to demonstrate that although recreational athletes playing in their hometowns can use these shoes, so too can professional athletes playing for the world’s biggest teams. What I found most interesting however, was the middle of the video where Iniesta discusses the importance of taking chances. Although the video is about soccer, these lessons appeal to a broader audience, and in this way, even sports fans that might not play soccer will be engaged, building Nike’s brand power. These viewers might then purchase Nike equipment for the sport they do play.  Returning to the segment attractiveness criteria – the result of this is a more substantial and, because of the emotional connection, more responsive target group. Not only does the video thereby inspire soccer players to purchase Nike cleats, but it builds Nike’s brand, and in the long-term this is the real accomplishment of “My Ground.

The Epitome of Marketing – Super Bowl Sunday

While it would not be right to blog about something other than the Super Bowl, it would be too predictable to discuss today’s commercials.  So instead – I’ll reflect on the marketing strategies of the company that originally did  Super Bowl advertising best – Apple.

“1984” began Apple’s market positioning as a company that represents change and innovation. Importantly, Apple solidified its position in the eyes of the consumer by following up “1984” with commercials such as the following

Apple was able to deliver a strong emotional message, building on the affective component of consumer attitudes, while maintaining a fairly wide target market. How many consumers don’t want to be recognized as geniuses, or remembered as Muhammad Ali and Mahatma Gandhi are? Not many. “Think Different” is an exemplary model of how powerful marketing can be when everything in our textbook is acknowledged in cohesion.  It recognizes the social trend away from authority acceptance towards self-expression and free speech (CDSTEP). It addresses need recognition, or rather displaces it in favour of creating needs FOR the consumers. It reduces risks for the consumer in their decision process, to the point where there seems to be greater social risk in foregoing purchase than in making the purchase.

Over the years, Apple has been successful by continuing this branding, and by producing products that match this image. From the iPhone to the iPad, its products are revolutionary, making “Think Different” believable.  What Apple does best, is it presents consumers with a binary decision- the outcome of which is a win-win for Apple. Initially, it asked people if they wanted to be different, and offered them the products to fulfill that desire.  Where Apple is different from others however, is that it got so many people to say yes that those who don’t want to be different now purchase Apple products as well, so as to fulfill their desire for belonging. How Apple manages to simultaneously fulfill the desires to be different and be the same as others is beyond me. What I do understand is that, for the time being, Apple’s reaches out to a universally-appealing self-concept, and as one YouTube viewer put it, creates “GOOSEBUMPS”.

BRB Going to Space

Business, in particular marketing often celebrates thinking outside of the box. I’m sure marketers everywhere (except maybe at Old Spice) will be delighted then to see that Axe is now thinking outside of the stratosphere. Axe’s “biggest promotional program in the three-decade history of the brand” involves a contest open to 60 countries, in which 22 winners will be rocketed into space Click here for article.There are a number of things you have to love about this. The first is that although it’s somewhat reminiscent of Red Bull’s parachute jump with Felix Baumgartner, it’s certainly refreshing enough to excite consumers. People often discredit marketing campaigns for imitating others – but this mindset needs rethinking. Extending Eric Falkenstein’s idea to marketing – “we are fundamentally an imitating species”. Just because Red Bull had a similar campaign does not mean that consumers (myself included) won’t be ecstatic at the possibility of visiting space.

The second positive is how well they have positioned the promotion in relation to their target market. The young male, already exuberant about the social possibilities that Axe offers, now has the means to make this possibility a reality (sort of).

For young males – imagine walking into a social environment and declaring you have just returned from space. Regardless of the fact that anyone’s chances of being selected are virtually none, the promotion does its job in getting young males to at least imagine. This promotion is a continuation of Axe’s goal to associate its products with imagination, possibility, and social success for young males around the world. Expensive or not, the campaign is worth it in the long-run just for that.

Barclay’s Does Something Right!

Barclay’s Bank is no stranger to controversy. Beginning with its involvement in South Africa in the 1980s during the apartheid, and more recently with the Libor scandal of 2012, Barclay’s image has been tarnished by questionable decision-making and unethical practices.

This past week however, Barclay’s made headlines for the right reasons. It appears that the bank is making strides towards a more ethical vision, with new chief executive Antony Jenkins demanding that staff “sign up to ethics or leave”. This declaration of Jenkins is the latest move in his mission to “[repair] Barclay’s battered reputation”.   It appears that Barclay’s has (finally) realized that consumers do care about more than the rates banks offer, evidenced by campaigns such as “Move your Money”. While it is still too early to say whether Barclay’s staff will adhere to the five key values of respect, integrity, service, excellence and stewardship, we can say that Barclay has begun actively marketing to its employees – both current and prospective.

Employment marketing involves sending positive messages to prospective employees so as to attract applicants to the firm (Grewal and Levy, 10). More than just its prospective employees however, Barclay’s is appealing to its current employees and ultimately, its clients, who will be hearing of the bank’s new values and direction in the news. In sending messages such as these, Barclay’s may be better able to attract top talent who are seeking ethical employers they can be proud of, and might see increased clientele from individuals who prefer to work with banks that share their values. It remains doubtful however, whether small steps such as this will be able to erase Barclay’s past. Good on your Barclay’s, but I wouldn’t expect its Ethiscore of 0.5 out of 20 to improve too much any time soon.