The Time of the Doves: Colometa

While reading this book I couldn’t help but wonder why Natalia was so clueless and naive to the world. Perhaps its because I am coming as a woman, but I really was confused on why Natalia did not immediately spot the red flags in Quimet. The author at the start of the novel sort of justifies it as Natalia is the way she is because she doesn’t have a mother figure, but I honestly don’t think thats excuse enough to negate her naivity. Throughout the novel but especially in the first half I kept getting frustrated with her for dealing with Quimet’s red flags and abusive behaviours. It’s interesting to see how their relationship evolved and how the couple falls into this sort of routine. I wonder what the author is trying to make us think, that Quimet is a distasteful husband or does the author believe even if just in part that Quimet’s behaviours are normal and that they are just the harsh realities of life to have a husband like him. And I also wonder, even as Natalia’s character becomes more complex as the novel goes on, whether the author believes that women should be docile and go with the flow. I think the end of the book kind of challenges my questioning of the author but just by reading the beginning that is what I would assume. Perhaps this set the author has designed is for highlighting the social issues within domestic settings and highlighting the burden a women has to face with being this figure in a family.

Moving on from their relationship I appreciated how the book brought to light the unique perspective from a woman during war when usually it is focused through the lens of a man. Like the doves that this book is named after and that Natalia herself is called, being a woman during the time can be suffocating and often times feel like they are in a cage. She was trapped for so long unable to fly free. This kind of was highlighted when Quimet realesed some birds and was nervous about it until he saw they didn’t fly far. Natalia’s freedom was like the doves lasting on a leash. Which is why her choices of contemplating her life is so very sad, she was a dove trapped in a cage looking for some sort of escape.

My question for the class is do you think Natalia’s story would be different if she had a mother figure in her life or if her father was more vocal and present? Would she hold more agency?

3 thoughts on “The Time of the Doves: Colometa

1. Daniel Orizaga Doguim

“It’s interesting to see how their relationship evolved and how the couple falls into this sort of routine.”
    Well, if you ask me, Quimet is pretty unpredictable… I don’t know if “routine” defines their relationship.

“Which is why her choices of contemplating her life is so very sad, she was a dove trapped in a cage looking for some sort of escape.”But the plot continues to advance and situations transform. It is true, we can discuss whether she achieves her freedom by marrying Antoni, but how did you interpret that change, for example in the reappropriation of open spaces, such as parks and squares, or Antoni’s house, by Natalia? She goes out to wander almost as an exercise in self-affirmation, through her presence in those places.

2. Maryem Benhallam

Hi! I completely agree that Natalia was like a caged dove, and I made this parallel in my own post. The actual doves had more freedom and better life style than her. Quimet made sure they had a dovecote, food, and even freedom, unlike Natalia whom he made endless broken promises to. She was caged in her miserable marriage with him and at parts her story was simply devastating.

3. Domenica Loor

Hi, I disagree with what you said about Natalia’s naivety. I’d say that Quimet, as mentioned in the lecture was charming and swept Natalia off her feet since the moment they met. Of course, as they moved forward in the relationship she could have left the relationship, but I wouldn’t say it was solely out of being naive and clueless, rather at first charmed and then committed to a relationship. Now to answer your question, I’d say yes, the parent figures seemed to be mentioned a lot by Natalia, especially at the beginning, and her absence of guidance and advice. in this case, I’d say that having the parental figures would’ve helped not because I’m sure they would have given her better advice, but perhaps with their “attention” she could’ve given herself and her life more worth and purpose and have stronger decisions based on values.