Reply to Student Blog: Walmart

I recently wrote a blog about Walmart starting their holiday deals early this year in order to increase their holiday revenue, but I did not consider the Walmart employees who would have to work extra hours during on of the busiest time of the year. In reply to Victor’s Blog, I would agree that it is unfortunate that 1 million Walmart employees have to work on Thanksgiving instead of being with their families, but as Victor said, they are provided with extra pay and a turkey dinner, and Walmart is ultimately a corporation and their goal is to generate profits. I don’t think Walmart can be blamed for their policies either, by trying to have their employees buy Walmart products. Though I am not familiar with the specific policy, I doubt Walmart “forces” employees to spend their income at Walmart. Ultimately, I would say that I agree with Victor that corporate social responsibility is important, but I would disagree with some of the criticism of Walmart mainly because in the end, they are just trying to do what’s best for the company, even if it means having people work a few extra hours.