Nov 19 / Nikhita Joshi

Toms!

Everyone has DEFINITELY heard of Toms. Who has not? The Blake Mycoskie’s company TOMS, gives away one pair to a child in need. Great idea, wonderful shoes, helped indeed. The concept social responsibility pops into my head when thinking of this innovative idea. However, I feel like people don’t really understand the true nature behind the goal of this company. At this point, the main reason why the TOMS are being purchased is because “everyone has it”, I believe. I could be completely wrong. But I truly believe that there are very few companies that have created such a great awareness amongst people. No one before this issue was raised really understood the fact people in underprivileged countries don’t have the simple necessities in life. This is therefore a concept which has actually helped underprivileged children. The concept of TOMS was first introduced to me in the summer of 2011 when I was at summer school in Cambridge and my advertising and Media professor introduced me to this idea. Right after I got back home, I bought them. They’re one of the best pairs I own.