Skip navigation

Hello to everyone here!

My name is Arella Ng and I’m a second year student at UBC (though this is my first year here). I’ve declared my major in Psychology, and I intend on pursuing grad school in the future (thinking of going into clinical or research) and declaring a minor in Ancient Mediterranean and Near Eastern Studies.

I’m a “learn gal” studying texts derived from a “lang réal,” whose goal is to be a “mind’s heallar” and definitely not “anger all.”

Moving on.

As of now, I currently have classes involving literary analyses, etymology, Biblical studies, and creative writing. So far, I’d like to say that I’ve been enjoying the content for all of them. It’s been pretty fun overall.

…The 30+ mandatory textbooks I had to purchase and drag back to my dorm were not. My right shoulder is still aching from that.

So one of my classes this semester involves the study of Romantic literature, this time in the modern era.

Since I’ve taken RMST 201 last semester, why not take 202 as well?

I mean, it would fulfil my literature requirement for graduation. Besides, I had a great time in 201. For the most part, we mostly learned how to analyse a lot of love poetry and literary pieces concerning faith, mythology, and feminism in mostly French, Italian, and Spanish. What I liked to do during those times was to read the original text and teach myself any unfamiliar words (considering that I do have a background in Spanish, it has been very fun comparing it to Italian given how similar the two languages are).

In addition to this, I do like reading – especially when it comes to young adult fiction. After all, it does help me as a writer as I continue to edit a fantasy-dystopian novel I’ve been working on.

Regarding the videos in Romance Studies, I remember thinking back to the sources I’ve read in RMST 201 when Dr. Beasley-Murray asked for the location of the Romance World. From the sources I’ve had to read, the answers would primarily be France and Italy, as well as Spain and Portugal. Another answer I was thinking of is that the Romance World would be located in any place where people can speak a Romance language. So it was a bit of a surprise, when he said that the Romance World has no physical territory.

Looking forward to what’s in stall this semester!

3 Comments

1. Hi Arella! Ancient Mediterranean and Near Eastern studies sound so cool I have been looking into taking a few classes myself since I have only heard good things from the program. I also think it’s is so cool that you are writing a novel and honestly what better genre than fantasy-dystopian. I hope to hear more about it. I too was surprised when learning that the Romance world isn’t linked to a physical territory and am very interested to see how that ties into our readings for this term!

2. Hi Arella! I’m a second year/first year at UBC also in general arts – it’s cool to hear about the courses you’ve taken and what you’re hoping to pursue. I was also surprised that there was no physical territory for these languages – I hope you enjoy learning more in this course and that it helps your writing!

3. Welcome to the course, Arella. When do we get to read your novel?? 🙂