Class of 2016 – Welcome to UBC!

First and foremost, congratulations on your acceptance to UBC Law!  You have successfully conquered a major hurdle (pat yourself on the back!) and are now ready to embark on this incredible journey.  The upcoming year is sure to bring intellectual challenge and rigorous academics, but will also bring more fun and inspiration than you can imagine!

My name is Darcy McKitrick, and as a second year law student and your Orientation Coordinator, it is my absolute pleasure to welcome you to the Faculty.  Although it is only May, I have already begun planning a fantastic Orientation Week for you.  It will be held August 27th – 30th, 2013, so mark your calendars!  I’m getting excited already.

What can you expect from O-Week?  Well, put your books away because this is one week that you can just sit back and enjoy the ride.  The week serves to introduce you to UBC Law and the legal community, the space you’ll be working in for the next three years, the esteemed faculty, academic program, extracurricular opportunities, upper year volunteers to help guide the way, and most importantly, to each other!

As we finalize details, I will be keeping you up to date with everything you can expect from O-Week and your first year at UBC Law.  To stay current, you can touch base with us in the following ways:

1. ORIENTATION GUIDE:  This page of the UBC Law website is what I consider the O-Week Hub.  On this page, you will find links to the Blog and Facebook Group, as well as documents sent out by email, student schedules as they are finalized, and useful information about the Faculty of Law, UBC campus, and City of Vancouver.  The page is a little sparse right now, but will be chalk-full of great info as the summer progresses.  Find it easily by going to www.law.ubc.ca and clicking “Orientation Guide” under the Current Students Quicklinks tab at the bottom of the page.
  2. ORIENTATION WEEK BLOG:  This blog will be continually updated with posts from me about O-Week, as well as from other upper years on the MANY diverse aspects of the program, their personal experiences, advice, and insight into what you can expect from first year.
  3. EMAILS:  The Admissions Office will be emailing the incoming class periodically with important information.  Be sure to check your inbox!
  4. FACEBOOK:  For those of you using Facebook, the UBC Law 2016 group is a quick and efficient way to stay current with what is going on.  If you are not on Facebook and don’t wish to be, do not fret!  All important information will be accessible through the Orientation Guide on the UBC Law website and sent out by email as well.  The FB group is a fantastic social device, however.  I found it to be a useful way to meet peers-to-be, ask questions informally, and post responses.  You may even find your future roommate there!

Finally, if you have any questions, concerns, or ideas for future blog posts, please don’t hesitate to email me at orientation@law.ubc.ca.  If you would like to talk to an upper year student and ask advice or take a tour of the Law building, email the UBC Law Student Ambassadors at ambassadors@law.ubc.ca and someone will respond as soon as possible.

Very last piece of advice:  Enjoy your summer!  The best way you can prepare for the upcoming year is to relax, rejuvenate, enjoy friends and family, and have some fun!   Truly.  Come September, you’ll be rested and ready to tackle first year law.

Congratulations, and Welcome to UBC!

— Darcy