“Black Christ” – Black Shack Alley

“Long was my sorrow” (147) 

This phrase echoed my feelings as I delved into Zobel’s grabbing narrative of injustice and resilience within the confines of Black Shack Alley. This piece intricately weaves together the lives of its characters, immersing me into a world where inequality and tragedy thrive, and many are left behind. Although I found this book to start a bit slower than some in the past—such as “The Shrouded Woman” or “Agostino,” my investment in the story grew as the book went on, and by the end I was mourning M’man ‘Tine alongside José.  

One of the most striking aspects of Black Shack Alley to me is the ingrained racial roles depicted within the characters, and at such a young age. José’s astonishment at seeing a white man treated with the same torture as black individuals (50) highlights the pervasive nature of racial discrimination in his society.  Something particularly powerful about this scene and the message behind it is that the statue José views is a depiction of Jesus—a figure immensely respected and valued by people all over the world. However, another man who is forced into a similar fate, such as Mr. Medouze (and many other black individuals before and after him) are simply forgotten. This truly displays the disparity in how suffering is perceived based on race, including the dehumanization of black individuals and the selective empathy of society. 

Another aspect of the book that struck a heartstring for me was the dynamic between M’man ‘Tine and José. It is clear throughout the book that M’man ‘tine desperately wants to protect José and prevent him from living a similar life of oppression and poverty. Even when she beats him, it is an expression of her love (whether it is the right behaviour or not). She wants him to be strong, good, and disciplined. José leaving the plantation life means everything to her. Her narrative serves as a window into the harsh realities faced by the older generation within Black Shack Alley, shedding light on the struggles and sacrifices they have endured. Even though slavery has been abolished by this point of her life, M’man ‘Tine’s situation seems only marginally improved. She still works herself to death on a plantation, as highlighted in José’s perspective. At the end of the book, when she falls ill and passes away, José imagines the plantation consuming her. This image made me quite frustrated, as well as devastated. Although José was able to escape the same fate, not many others in Black Shack Alley are as fortunate. 

Throughout this book I was pulled in and out of various emotions, mostly those with a negative valence (sadness, frustration, disappointment, grief), but with some spurts of joy splattered in from the lively community. That said, I am curious to know which emotions took over during your reading of the novel, and at which scenes were these emotions the strongest?

4 thoughts on ““Black Christ” – Black Shack Alley

1. Tesi

I’m interested to know in which ways you felt that the author “intricately weaves together the lives of its characters.”

The moment you mentioned on page 50 actually reminded me of how indentured white workers used to work on the fields and same conditions at first. Eventually there was conscious effort to treat white workers better in order to divide the working class. There are a couple of books on this if you’re interested in learning more I suggest you start with How Europe Underdeveloped Africa by Walter Rodney.

Thank you for your comment!
    Tesi

1. Page Pioneer Post author

Hi Tesi! Thank you for your comment 🙂 I will be sure to look more into that– very interesting! What I meant with my comment in my intro was simply that the way the Zobel ties in the older generation to José’s was very interesting to me (through story telling and also through showing little pieces of their lives as well). In my real life I often feel very disconnected from my older relatives and older generations, and so it was beautiful to see how their stories were considered in the narative as well.

2. jerry wang

Hi, to answer your question, the main emotion that took over for me was really similar to you with mainly negative emotions such as sadness and frustration since throughout the read, the protagonist José’s struggles deeply resonated with me. His journey of grappling with identity, and societal expectations in which I found myself empathizing with him.

3. Shanelle Danimae Cuevas

Hi Page!
    I really enjoyed your blog post. To answer your question, I felt a mix of sadness but also inspiration. One part I can pinpoint was actually M’mam Tine’s death. The description of her hands being worn down because of her hard work to provide José an education absolutely broke my heart. However, it’s also inspiring how José was able to utilize these experiences to eventually become the writer he has always wanted.

~Shanelle