Opinions on Philosophy.

(Ooo… what a paradox! To me, philosophy is just one big opinion anyway.  Please don’t take offence to that, I may just be uninformed.)

Anyway, I got distracted with a thought while writing my philosophy paper:

For my paper I have to argue for an idea, object myself, and build my case again.  The problem is, deep down in my heart I believe in idea “A” but as I start writing the objection the counter idea seems to become so true that I can’t argue against it.

At this point, the professor says to change it so that you agree with the counter and use your initial arguement as the objection.

Even then, it’s hard on the soul to argue for something you don’t want to believe.

So, do you believe in the power of believing? That as long as you do, it can still be true?

A Walt Disney world like that seems too good to be true to me.

The power of believing would be useful to get through these dark midterm days though.

After my “emo” night after the econ midterm I realized: believe in yourself.  When it comes down to the moment when you sit down for your exam, you just have to believe you can do it, there is no alternative.

Good luck everyone, and happy thanksgiving!

9 thoughts on “Opinions on Philosophy.

1. I agree philosophy is largely opionated as well, but the point of philosophy is to determine which opinion is best.

“So, do you believe in the power of believing? That as long as you do, it can still be true?”
    I believe in it to an extent. However, if I jump off the clock tower at UBC truly believing doing so will grant me the ability to fly, the power of believing will only have been true in the sense that bits of blood and body mass will be flying a few metres out from the impact point 🙂

2. This is a rather interesting discussion.
    I think that WHAT you believe in is more important than just simply having a belief. Just because you strongly believe in something, doesn’t necessarily make it true. For example, if you strongly believe that drinking arsenic won’t kill you, the reality and truth is that it is poisonous, so even though you can be sincere about your beliefs, it will still kill you.

I think this is the point Tyler is trying to make.

So the real question should be “what are the things that are worth believing in?”

many of us may believe in ourselves, i dunno about you, but there are definitely times when i feel inadequate and things are out of my control. So is there something more?

Is there TRUTH out there that we can believe in and that will pull us through life?

3. Wow Evelyn! Those are some thought provoking questions!

In my opinion, we can create reality. I know it probably sounds new-agey and all, but give it a chance. The reality and truth of arsenic is that it is poison. The reality and truth of humans is yet unwritten. Our potential is unwritten – it could be as infinite as we can imagine!

The truth we can believe in is knowing that we ARE adequate, things ARE in my control (ok, so maybe the bus that just passed you by is not in your control, but the way you handle that situation IS). What do you think?

4. Well in that case it would tie into the whole “locus of control” thing in Psychology. I don’t think it’s possible to know whether or not we really are in control of our lives, but I think it’s healthier to believe that we are, even if it turns out we’re not in the end.