What’s the point?

Lots of stuff is happening in my life and as the 43 bent it’s accordion around into the bus loop I asked myself “what’s the point?”

I’m referring to the point of coming to school.

To learn, to get a degree so I can get a job, to try new things, to meet people… etc etc.

Somehow today that wasn’t very motivating.  Don’t get me wrong, I love learning in general and was never really a skipper, but these reasons just didn’t feel enough.  I know quite a few people who know what they want to be, or do, or at least have some sort of direction.  Me?  I just want to have a good time and graduate.  The truth is that I don’t really know what I am aiming for, I’m just living as the moments come.

People always say to me “you’ll find out some day, just get good grades for now, don’t worry.”  However true that might maybe be, it still doesn’t feel good to not know where you’re going.  Actually, it feels extremely horrible sometimes.  It makes the place that I am at unsettling.

So during my one hour pre-noon break I took a walk.  To “find myself”?  I really don’t know.  I was kind of hoping that it would guide me to somewhere interesting where I might have an epiphany on the matter or something.

Nothing happened, but I finally found the Nitobe Garden (the Japanese garden thing).  Also, the Asian studies building, film productions, a Christmas tree (that wasn’t actually a tree… try looking for it, it’s stuck to a side of a building!)… and Vanier! (yes… I have never been there before.)

I took some pictures of swirling trees!

The funny thing was that I actually got lost but just said to myself “oh well, I’ll find my way eventually” and guess where I found myself?

Turned the corner, looked up the hill and the only thing that made me realize where I was, White Spot.  Ok maybe I’m looking into it too deeply but at that moment I had to laugh.  To me White Spot = Angus Building = Sauder… in otherwords, all that time on my wandering journey of “why am I here? I don’t even know what I want to be…  Is business really the right choice for me?” brought me back to Sauder.

If I weren’t me I would say I looked into this too deeply and it’s just a coincidence.

If you feel like you’re in the same spot as me, consider watching this:

I’m inspired. I just don’t know how to act on it.

[random] I found this sight kind of interesting…

200911021131_071

Spotted outside the power plant.

What do you think required such a narrow door?  Is it art?

5 thoughts on “What’s the point?

1. I went on a major roller coaster ride last year. At times, I asked myself the same questions. A few things that propelled my “self-discovery”: 1) watching TED talks, 2) getting involved (e.g., SLC), 3) taking a variety courses offered by other faculties, and 4) following my heart 🙂

2. Yay for Nitobe garden (and swirly tree pictures!)
    Pretty sure everyone walking through there goes to ponder over something.

3. This is the time for these kind of discoveries! You (and all of us here) are so young and this is the point in our lives where we really figure out who we are, what we like, what makes us happy, what we’re passionate about, etc. (and probably not for the last time in our lives, either!).

I am definitely asking similar questions: what’s the point? why am i doing this? where will i end up? There are no definite answers. I like Eastwood’s “propellers”.. here are some of mine: 1.) Identify and write out what you want out of life – and don’t be afraid or shy about it, 2.) Try new things! Join a club for no reason, pick up a new hobby, read a book about something obscure and see if this sparks anything for you, 3.) This might seem weird, but imagine what you want your eulogy to sound like and this might give you some personal direction and motivation for how you want to live life!