Media Literacy & Social Media

Social Media Education

For my final assignment for the ETEC531:  Cultural and New Media Studies course the topic I selected was media literacy, specifically related to social media use by children and teens.

https://youtu.be/lg4yM7IPf5k

I created the movie using iMovie.  After reading about Fair Use in the course, I overcame my fear of using copyrighted content for remixing. I ensured that all the content I used was credited and stayed within the Fair Use recommendations so:

• the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
  • the nature of the copyrighted work;
  • the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
  • the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

During this semester, I became quite interested in the idea of how digital technology is “rewiring” our brains. In fact,  I referred to it  in a recent blog post for the ETEC540: Text Technologies: The Changing Spaces of Reading and Writing course.

The following video provides a good explanation of how social media Is rewiring our brains: