Link 6: Final Project

Summary

While exploring final projects I came across Margaret Irwin’s “An Evolution of Recipes” that really caught my eye. Margaret’s final project was an infographic of how recipes have evolved over time. She includes oral traditions, written recipes, recipe collections, the recipe card, algorithms and questions about the future. On Margaret’s blog she describes connecting her project to her Food classes that she teaches as a teacher in B.C. The infographic is displayed as a timeline from the top of the page to the bottom as recipes have changed overtime.

Margaret’s post: https://blogs.ubc.ca/etec540margaret/2020/08/10/final-project-describing-communication-technologies/

I was drawn to Margaret’s project as it had similarities to mine. I also created an infographic that describes how the term DNA changed overtime and came to be. I designed the infographic as a timeline that began at the top and concluded at the bottom. I like how Margaret used the term “evolution”; that would have been a good word to include in my title and also would have payed tribute to Charles Darwin, who is connected to the history of DNA, just not included in the history of the term DNA. Similar to Margaret, I also wanted to create my final project to support my teaching. In this case I connected this assignment to my grade 12 Biology class that learns about DNA.

My Post: https://blogs.ubc.ca/paslawski540/2020/08/10/the-untold-history-of-dna/

Reason for Link

I really like how Margaret created something meaningful to her by including her family and her husband’s family recipes and connecting to her students as a Foods teacher. She also intentionally tried something new, which in her case was using Canvas. I also intentionally tried a new application by using genially, which I learned about in ETEC 540. I did not know that Canvas allowed for interactive components such as YouTube videos as Margaret used in her infographic. One of the reasons why I chose genially was for the interactive components.

User Interface

A considerable difference in user interface between my infographic and Margaret’s is the tools to present an image on the UBC WordPress Blog. Margaret’s page allows for the PDF to expand into a new tab using Google Drive which creates a large visual that is easy to read along with the zoom button at the bottom. My post is quite large; however, it does not allow the viewer to see the image any larger. I did include a PDF file to download, however this removes the audio clips that are embedded within.

Another difference between our blog pages is the links on the right-hand side of the page. On Margaret’s blog she chose to include links to recent posts, comments and a search function which limits the size of post itself. On my blog page I chose to remove the right-hand links to allow for more space for the posts. However, this does take away the ability to quickly view other posts or search on my blog. There are pluses and minuses to this decision that I only noticed when viewing Margaret’s infographic.

Link 5: Speculative Future

Summary

Thinking about the future of education can be exciting. Each of us have different perspective and opportunities within education and may have very different predictions about what the future may hold. While reading various future I came across a prediction very similar to mine.

Daniella Balabuk described a future in her post about a 15-year-old year named Sami. It’s the year 2035 and Sami attends school via an education pod. Daniella describes this to be a 360-degree screened pod where lectures take place with her classmate and teacher. Sami’s education is similar to my character Julia. I described Julia to be 16-years old and in the year 2045. Julia also does not attend a physical school but participates with classmates and teachers in VR from her home. Unlike Julia, Sami is able to participate in activities like soccer with members of her cohort at a community centre. This component was not an aspect that I had considered, the social aspect and physical activity. I like how Daniella addressed the ability for students to be physically active and interact with other students her age in person.

Reason for Linking

When reading Daniella’s post, I was amazed by her narrative of Sami’s life. Daniella’s ability to describe what the future will be like for education was so descriptive that it feels almost real now. I really liked how her included specific names of places in her story. This was a huge contributor to the realness of the narrative. Reading this post made me reflect on how I could have added more detail to my story about Julia and allowed for the text to truly describe what life could be like rather than a brief summary. Daniella’s post inspired me to reflect on my own writing and challenge myself in the future.

Daniella’s Post: https://blogs.ubc.ca/dbalabuk540/2020/07/31/task-12-speculative-futures/

My Post: https://blogs.ubc.ca/paslawski540/2020/07/27/task-12-what-if-world/

Link 4: Mode-Bending

The task of finding an alternative method of presenting the “What’s in your bag” task was a challenging one. There are so many ways in which you could do so and that was demonstrated by the variety of modes within our class. Tyler Graham had a similar approach to this task as I did by adding a musical twist to the items in our bags.

Tyler wrote and create a song with lyrics that describe the items found in his bag. In my opinion, based on the image of Tyler playing guitar and the production level of the audio clip I would say he knows what he is doing. Tyler’s approach allowed his musical abilities of song writing to complement the items found in his bag. He also used technology to create the background music to match his song with an incredible production level.

Tyler’s post and song can be found here: https://blogs.ubc.ca/monsieurgraham/mode-bending/

Tyler’s Lyrics

What’s in your bag? Is there a yarn to spin?

What’s in your bag? Gonna tell you everything.

Got the produce not to eat, and its protective shell.

Got the cables I got the cords, cause this Apple’s electrical.

I got a hairbrush folded away, that look good, feel good fun.

I got erasers at the end of my lead, gotta fix it all before it’s done.

Packin’ a couple of reference books, it’s quicker easier on the web.

But flippin’ pages like a bygone age, there’s somethin’ tangible to be said.

Got this citrus dossier to keep the labour safe on the run.

And records kept in ink so red for this trip around the sun.

My Post can be found here: https://blogs.ubc.ca/paslawski540/2020/06/26/task-7-a-parody/

My Lyrics

At times it may be difficult to understand what I was saying, like I said, music is not my strong suit.

Yeah, I’m gonna take my bag to the grocery store

I’m gonna pack ‘til I can’t no more

I’m gonna take my bag to the grocery store

I’m gonna pack ‘til I can’t no more

I got the keys in the back

Cell phone is a must

Cash from the bank

Got the wipes that’s packed to clean

Reading when I wait, yup

You can use my pens

I have hand – sani

You ain’t prepped like me

Your always gunna find somethin’

It is never nothin’

Your always gunna find somethin’

It is never nothin’

Water when I need more

Oils when I’m feelin’ sore

Food can come in handy

So, I don’t be hangry

My bag keeps my stuff safe

That is up for debate

The bag is from Kate Spade

Purchased this decade

In comparison, I used the approach to incorporate music by borrowing the melody from a music artist, Lil Nas X, and remixing the lyrics to match the description of my bag. This had some limiting factors as I was trying to match the syllables and beat in Old Town Road. This led to some tricky lyrics and difficulty pronouncing while recording. Had I written my own song I could have avoided these issues.

Overall, I applaud Tyler for his creation. His post allowed peers to learn more about him as an extension of his bag. I felt this was the goal I had in mind for my song. However, with the disclaimer that I do not find myself to be musically inclined and really showed myself and my peers a new side of me.

The Untold History of DNA

Final Project: Describing Communication Technologies

I have created an infographic to visually display the history of the term Deoxyribose Nucleic Acid (DNA). As a Biology teacher I am often trying to find engaging visuals for my students. In the grade 12 Biology curriculum we cover the discoveries that led to our current understanding of DNA. I added a twist to this content to explore the term DNA and the history that led to how we use the term today. This interactive infographic has been designed with my students in mind. I intend to use this with my students this school year, therefore I felt the audio clips were needed to support my students learning.
I used the website https://app.genial.ly/ to create this interactive visual along with embedded audio clips. As per the guidelines of the assignment I have also provided a PDF of the infographic.

What If In Education

What if learning only occurred in virtual reality?

Met Julia, she is a 10th grade student in the year 2045. Julia wakes up in the morning and gets ready for school, however this looks very different than from how you and I got ready for school. Julia doesn’t need to leave her house to attend class or interact with her peers. All she has to do it put on her virtual headset and she enters her classroom along with her friends and teacher. Julia sees her peers and teacher just like we used to when we were in school, however no one is physically there. In 2045 students do not attend school, nor do the teachers. As populations continued to climb, the space required for physical schools was too great and the risk of infection too large to justify sending students to school. VR classrooms was the best way to keep students connected to a classroom while using the technology we have available to learn. Julia can join her classroom from any location in her home and participate in learning using the headset. She is able to collaborate with peers in what appears to be a classroom and interact with technology in many ways.

Image Sources:

AR Post, 2018. How virtual and augmented reality will change the way children learn. AR Post. Retrieved from https://arpost.co/2018/08/07/virtual-augmented-reality-will-change-way-children-learn/

CableLabs, 2018. Cable and education: Welcome to the classroom of the future. Medium. Retrieved from https://medium.com/@CableLabs/cable-and-education-welcome-to-the-classroom-of-the-future-fbfb6b8ed564

KBIS, 2017. Design, Michael Schluetter, one the future of kitchen design. KBIS. Retrieved from https://kbis.com/exhibitor-news/liebherr-appliances-interviews-acclaimed-designer-michael-schluetter-on-the-future-of-kitchen-design/

What if algorithms predicted student success in re-doing courses?

Audio File Transcript:

Audio File meeting note, June 15th, 2026.

Today the decision was made to place Edwin into alternative programming to complete grade 9 core subjects that he did not pass in the 2025-2026 school year. According to SAFA’s recommendation, Edwin would not be successful if he were to return to regular programming to re-do courses next year. As Principal, I agree with this decision due to attendance, course scores, assignment completion and other personality factors.

In the year 2026 administrators have the final say for decisions made within their school, however, they are provided many recommendations from algorithms designed to reduce bias and easy the workload. SAFA stands for Student Algorithm For Success which predicts students ability to be successful if they were to re-do courses in high school. In this audio file a Principal recorded her decision to place Edwin into alternative programming to complete his grade 9 cores due to the recommendation that SAFA provided her. SAFA includes variables such as attendance, course scores, assignment completion and personality traits to ensure student are successful.

Attention Economy

This week’s task sounded like a walk in the park. Play a game and take a screen shot, how hard could it be? Well I will tell you that it was extremely challenging, and I will tell you why.

This online game takes you through a series of activities with the goal of completing the form as quickly as possible. Initially, I tried to complete the first level by being as accurate as possible however that did not last long.  I repeated the first level many times due to the 1-minute timer that would pop up. I am almost embarrassed to say this, but I did not figure out how to close the timer pop up. This meant that I played this game, repeatedly, until I beat it in under 60 seconds. This led to many frustrations and a change in computers so I could use a mouse rather than a track pad and really get into it. Did anyone else try to beat the game in under 60 seconds?

Activity 1

The first page is where I spent the most amount of time trying to figure out what exactly I was supposed to do. I had to google the meaning of cyrillic character in order to meet the password requirements and finally move onto the next page.

Activity 2

The design on the second level was actually kind of funny. I thought it was a very creative location for the “select all” button which I bet lots of people fell for. Throughout the challenges you can see the four numbers at the top, although the image shows “2” being highlighted, the numbers continuously flashed during each level. This distracts your eye from the task at hand, along with the green “cancel” button which draws your eye in resulting in clicking the wrong button.

Activity 3

The third activity brought new challenges. At this stage I threw actual answers out the window and was only typing random letters into the boxes. I was thrown for a loop when I needed to do math to complete the age and birthday component. What I noticed about this page that is usually present on a form is the red * to illustrate it was required to be completed along with the ability to click a box and have the text automatically deleted. These minor details made the form frustrating to complete, especially so quickly!

Activity 4

The last page replicated a CAPTCHA that is more frustrating that they usually are. On this level I was trying to go very fast because I thought I was running out of time, remember I thought you had to do it in less than 60 seconds. Once I completed this page I was overjoyed to have finally done it. I only found out about the ability to close the pop up when I read someone else’s blog post on the task. Insert face palm here.

I was never formally taught how to navigate a website, I learned overtime by a series of guess and check until I learned the common practices of website design. This game goes against what you think you know about user design and makes you question what to do next. A positive aspect of this game was it made me read all the instructions carefully which I don’t always do.

Network: Golden Record Curation

Introduction

Observing the network created in Palladio of our class provided an opportunity to visualize the selected tracks from the Golden Record. Our class has 22 people, coupled with 27 tracks creates a dense network of edges. This crazy network of connections is only a small glimpse into the web created on the internet.

Class Data

This graph is made up of nodes, representing people and tracks and edges representing the connections. The edges in this graph represent a connection between a person and a song that they selected. Of the 27 tracks, Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony had the most connections and degree of connectivity of 17. Men’s House Song had the lowest degree of connectivity with 1 connection. It is difficult to gather this information by simply looking at the graph but by selecting specific facets to view precise information.

Group

Community with Andrew Shedden

I wanted to view the connections I had with specific people and found myself in a group with Andrew Shedden. It is unclear how these groups are made; I believe it has something to do with the number of connections to have with another person. This community that I have with Andrew illustrates five connections including Jonny B. Goode, String Quartet no. 13, The Magic Flute, Melancholy Blues and Night Chant. I reviewed Andrew’s page to learn about the reasons why he selected the same tracks as I selected on my page.  I created a visual to summarize the reasons why Andrew and I selected the same five tracks.

Although the graph visualizes the connections between our group it does not illustrate the reasons why we selected the shared tracks. A simple line connecting a song with two people could imply that they both liked the song, however there are many reasons why someone could select a track to be on the Golden Record. When you visualize a group only, it does not show the other connections between song choices. For example, it only visualizes that I share Jonny B. Goode with Andrew when there are 13 more people that selected that song. The other option is to visualize the whole graph with the many connections however it can be overwhelming and unable to make sense of all the connections.

Null Choices

Of the 27 tracks, 10 were selected by each curator leaving 17 tracks that were not selected. Reasons why I did not choose some of the tracks would be due to other songs providing presentation of voices, instruments, location in the world and variety that they provided. It is difficult for me to say the exact reasons why a song was not selected because they are all great songs. The reason why songs were not selected are not visualized in this graph other than the lack of connections. Someone could make a graph that visualizes the songs that were not selected and demonstrated communities of people that did not select specific tracks. Would that result in similar groupings or very different?

Golden Record Curation

This task challenged me to select 10 songs from the 27 that are on the Voyager record that was launched in 1977. For this process I decided to listen to all of the songs on the track, followed by a second listening where I wrote down the tracks I thought should be included. I then narrowed down my initial list by searching up some meanings and locations of the tracks. The tracks I wanted to include are songs that reflect humans values and diversity,  incorporating voices from both men and women and from places around the world. I also wanted to have a balance of tracks that feature human voices and musical instruments. I noticed that mens voices are more prevalent on this track as well as songs from the United States. I create an image to visualize the tracks I selected on a world map.

The tracks are not listed in any particular order.

1. Peru, wedding song, recorded by John Cohen. 0:38
  2. Mozart, The Magic Flute, Queen of the Night aria, no. 14. Edda Moser, soprano. Bavarian State Opera, Munich, Wolfgang Sawallisch, conductor. 2:55
  3. Navajo Indians, Night Chant, recorded by Willard Rhodes. 0:57
  4. Melancholy Blues,” performed by Louis Armstrong and His Hot Seven. 3:05
  5. “Johnny B. Goode,” written and performed by Chuck Berry. 2:38
  6. India, raga, “Jaat Kahan Ho,” sung by Surshri Kesar Bai Kerkar. 3:30
  7. Mexico, “El Cascabel,” performed by Lorenzo Barcelata and the Mariachi México. 3:14
  8. Tchenhoukoumen, Senegal, percussion, recorded by Charles Duvelle. 2:08
  9. Beethoven, Fifth Symphony, First Movement, the Philharmonia Orchestra, Otto Klemperer, conductor. 7:20
  10. Japan, shakuhachi, “Tsuru No Sugomori” (“Crane’s Nest,”) performed by Goro Yamaguchi. 4:51

Track

Reasoning

Wedding Song, Peru This song features a female voice with no instrumentals or instruments. It is unique to the record because it is a celebration of marriage and represents South American culture.
Mozart, The Magic Flute, Queen of the Night aria, no. 14. Edda Moser This is one of the only songs featuring a female voice and musical instruments and I feel this song is very familiar to many people. This song is a great representation of classical music.

Navajo Indians, Night Chant This track features both men and women who are native to America. The chant represents a healing ritual and demonstrates the unique sounds that humans can produce with their voices.

Melancholy Blues, Louis Armstrong and His Hot Seven This song represents the range of brass instruments and drums that we have on Earth and is an example of Jazz music.
Johnny B. Goode, Chuck Berry This track should be included on the record because it is an example of Rock n’ Roll music that is upbeat and encourages me to dance around. I could only assume it has the same influence on any life out in space.
Jaat Kahan Ho, sung by Surshri Kesar Bai Kerkar. This song features a female Indian vocalist. The song title in English is “Where are you going along, girl” which I think is fitting for a track that is going out into space, where is it going?
El Cascabel, performed by Lorenzo Barcelata and the Mariachi México. This song is a Mexican folk song that features male voices. It is upbeat and also features guitar like instruments.
Tchenhoukoumen, Senegal This track includes many different types of percussion instruments that are not included in other tracks. It is a playful track that has an upbeat tempo.
Beethoven, Fifth Symphony, First Movement, This song is another example of classical music; however I think it should also be included because it is a very familiar song that includes many string instruments and is only instrumental, compared to The Magic Flute which includes vocals as well.
Tsuru No Sugomori, Japan, shakuhachi This song should be included because I think its sounds are very reflective of nature sounds on Earth. This may give insight to other lifeforms that we have nature.

Link 3: Twine

There were many amazing twine creations this week, but one that really stood out to me was created by Carla.  I decided to link my twine post to Carla’s creation.

Carla created a twine story for her little cousins that makes for a great digital storybook with so many possibilities. I absolutely love the idea behind this story and the possibilities it offers children when they think about a career. I think Carla has a second career in writing children’s books. This story really spoke to me because the main character shares his uncomfortable feelings about career day, this would have been me as a child. I would have been very anxious to go to school on career day and had similar thoughts as Marty. This story makes children feel like it’s okay to be anxious and has a wonderful ending.

Image from Carla’s Career Day

Carla’s approach to her twine story was in contrast to mine and provided me with a great example of another way to think about using twine. My story is more of an educational tool to teach children about the processes of digestion in grade 11 biology that allows students to learn along the way. Carla created a story that uses hyperlinks to allow the reader to guide the direction of the story and provides career advice along the way based on interests.

Image from Carla’s career day twine.

Another aspect that Carla’s twine contrast mine is her original images. I love how Carla drew the images that she embedded into the story. These images make the story very unique and provides a relaxed vibe while reading it. In the future if I were to make another twine, I would consider creating my own drawings, unless I decide to make a twine based on the human body, then maybe not. The images for my twine were taken from https://smart.servier.com/ which allowed me to include great detail for the digestive system. However, due to the size of my images  the text got pushed down and out of site without scrolling. In Carla’s twine, the structure of the images allows for an easy “read” without the need to scroll, this design is important to the overall user experience and will be something I take into consideration next time.

Screen shot from my twine: the digestive system game.

As Carla mentioned in her post, this twine activity took significantly more time than other tasks and I would most definitely agree with her on that. I found myself deep into the Twine world and YouTube videos learning how to edit text and font. Carla even discovered how to add in effects which is super cool! This twine is a great example of the possibilities twine has to offer, thanks for sharing your creation Carla!

Mode-Bending: A Parody

Disclaimer: Super clingy song produced by someone with very little musical abilities.

Listen at your own risk!

The purpose of the first task was to give my classmates some insight into who I am and reflect on the items inside of my bag. This week gave me a challenge of re-visiting that image of my bag and redesigning the purpose. I have brought this image to life by writing a parody about the items found inside my bag. I would like to emphasize that I do not see myself as a person who is musically inclined and truly stepped out of my comfort zone to complete this task in this way. I randomly selected a song that I thought could work and I just went with it! I used Adobe Audition to edit the audio clips and then I decided to make a “music” video to go along with it using my memoji which was done in iMovie.

Original

Here is the original image that I used for my inspiration

Lyrics

I’m gonna pack ‘til I can’t no more

I’m gonna pack ‘til I can’t no more

I got the keys in the back

Cell phone is a must

Cash from the bank

Got the wipes that’s packed to clean

Reading when I wait, yup

You can use my pens

I have hand – sani

You ain’t prepped like me

Your always gunna find somethin’

It is never nothin’

Your always gunna find somethin’

It is never nothin’

Water when I need more

Oils when I’m feelin’ sore

Food can come in handy

So, I don’t be hangry

My bag keeps my stuff safe

That is up for debate

The bag is from Kate Spade

Purchased this decade

Audio

Music Video

Music Source: https://gotinstrumentals.com/front/beats/beatsingle/lil-nas-x-old-town-road-instrumental-374259