Link 1: Speech to Text Analysis

I discovered a link between my post and Shaun Holma’s post for the Speech to Text Analysis task.

Shaun used Adobe Spark to create a website  and share his content which he then posts on his UBC blog page. I admire Shaun’s creative approach to use another tool to share his content. The website allows for content to be shared that is visually appealing and easy to read. I enjoy the interactive visuals and scroll feature that adobe offers when designing to create a slick website. Shaun’s work transitions smoothly as you read and provides eye catching visuals along the way. I would consider using an external application to create my tasks in the future based on Shaun’s creation. His post gives a professional vibe to his blog that gives me the impression that he has important things to say, and he does. While reading this post I made a few connections to my task for speech to text analysis.

Shaun used the Samsung voice recorder on his phone to translate his oral story into text. This tool is an app on a mobile device that would allow him to transcribe an oral story anywhere. This app allows for a maximum 5 minutes when using the feature on this app along with reading back the text at varying speeds. Since the app is a voice recorder you can store voice memos in your phone and convert them to text whenever you would like and allowing you to edit the text. The web application Speechnotes which I used allows for longer recording times but does not offer varying speeds of playback or the option to record a voice memo and convert it later. The Samsung voice recorder allows you to save as many voice memos or text files as you would like that the phone can accommodate.

Shaun has a similar experience to me when it came to the lack of natural stops in the text. Like him, his text lacked periods and commas that would have made the text easier to comprehend. Something that I noticed about Shaun’s text was random capital letters on words that were not names like “so”, “she”, and “no”. This surprised me because it appears as though the app was able to recognize that a period would have been in place for a period or comma, but since he did not say “period” it did not put one and instead it capitalized a letter. My text was unlike this because it mainly capitalized names of people, places or an abbreviation.

Wonderful job Shaun! I enjoyed your creative approach and connections to my task.