Link 5: Speculative Future

Summary

Thinking about the future of education can be exciting. Each of us have different perspective and opportunities within education and may have very different predictions about what the future may hold. While reading various future I came across a prediction very similar to mine.

Daniella Balabuk described a future in her post about a 15-year-old year named Sami. It’s the year 2035 and Sami attends school via an education pod. Daniella describes this to be a 360-degree screened pod where lectures take place with her classmate and teacher. Sami’s education is similar to my character Julia. I described Julia to be 16-years old and in the year 2045. Julia also does not attend a physical school but participates with classmates and teachers in VR from her home. Unlike Julia, Sami is able to participate in activities like soccer with members of her cohort at a community centre. This component was not an aspect that I had considered, the social aspect and physical activity. I like how Daniella addressed the ability for students to be physically active and interact with other students her age in person.

Reason for Linking

When reading Daniella’s post, I was amazed by her narrative of Sami’s life. Daniella’s ability to describe what the future will be like for education was so descriptive that it feels almost real now. I really liked how her included specific names of places in her story. This was a huge contributor to the realness of the narrative. Reading this post made me reflect on how I could have added more detail to my story about Julia and allowed for the text to truly describe what life could be like rather than a brief summary. Daniella’s post inspired me to reflect on my own writing and challenge myself in the future.

Daniella’s Post: https://blogs.ubc.ca/dbalabuk540/2020/07/31/task-12-speculative-futures/

My Post: https://blogs.ubc.ca/paslawski540/2020/07/27/task-12-what-if-world/