Analytics is everywhere!

Posted by in Marketing Analysis and Planning, My Interests and Passions

One of major concerns of stake holder of any online venture is the ability of gauge the market penetration of the online venture. Collection and analysis of these metrics expedite the process of devising an alternate strategy to gain the advantage.

Personally, I am a hands-on professional. I believe in experiential learning to a very profound and lasting method of learning.  At this stage of my careers, where Sauder Business School is making no less effort in bombarding me with assignments, my search for application of few of this skills directed me to explore Google Analytics Platform.

Google Analytics Platform is a free online data collection and analysis tool published by Google. It is powerful, highly responsive and customizable. For more information visit: https://analyticsacademy.withgoogle.com/course

With summer internship posting around the corner, I wanted to investigate metrics such as number of visits, geographical location of reader and amount of time spent on my e-portfolio (blog page). Data regarding these would signal my success in improving internet presence.

Problem Statement:

• Blog content decent.
  • Blog content sucks! Minimal internet traffic. Formulate alternate plan to attract more traffic.

As Google initiated the process of sniffing data from my blog, following information was available (As my statistics professor emphasizes: “ALWAYS PLOT A GRAPH”, don’t be surprised to see rich graph UI of Google analytics attached)

• Almost all visitors to my blog are from Canada. As I am looking for internships in Canada, this information boosts confidence.

•  User Engagement:This metric informs the average time spent on blog before switching to different page. I notice that few user exit the blog in less than 10 sec after landing to page. This might indicate the scope of improvement regarding content posted on the blog.

•  Returning V/S New Visitors:This ratio is true indicator of the interest that I have been able to generate in the visiting users. Higher Returning ratio portrays high visitor engagement. My blog showcases lower returning visitors when compared to new visitors.

While, interesting insights about my blog have been collected, more importantly I was exposed to power of data analytics in decision making. Google analytics a powerful tool to perform analytics and it aids substantially in decision making. As successful managers and CEOs emphasize – “ It is all about the making correct decisions using the right data”.