Wal-Mart Unveils Plan to Make Supply Chain Greener

In class, I have been lectured about the Supply Chain Management and I found it quite interesting. After class, I have decided to look into more detail about it and found an article about how Wal-Mart plans to try to reduce the carbon emission in its supply chain. It plans to cut some 20 million metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions from its supply chain by the end of 2015. Wal-Mart’s sustainability executives will work with suppliers to help them figure out what measures to take, including redesigning packaging or using a different fertilizer will be the responsibility of each supplier, not of Wal-Mart.

When I tried to look at this the other way, Wal-Mart is not actually doing much, in terms of changing it’s business plan, but in turn they force their suppliers to change their business models. It will be a win-win situation, as supply will have lower production cost if they invest to improve the supply chain as the energy is becoming increasingly expensive. Thus, more profit will be gained, thus passed on to Wal-Mart and hence consumers.

This is a commercial about Wal-Mart trying to be greener.

About phirapatchpalalikit

I'm currently a 4-year Commerce student, majoring in marketing at the Sauder school of Business.