Antoine Coulombe, Social Worker – RSW, MSW, BSW
BC College of Social Workers # 12637
Social Work Process Analysis and Theory Skills
- Specialized in Social Work processes with individuals, groups and communities in a diversity of health care, school and non-profit settings.
- Talented at understanding how complex organizations function and identifying appropriate references in the continuum of services with the right professionals.
- Up-to-date knowledge of research in social work: interview process, action research, quantitative and qualitative research.
- Adept in understanding legislation and policies, including being able to understand and apply legal frameworks.
- Talented in offering a rich and in-depth learning experience to students using different pedagogical frameworks to teach social work: Universal Design for Learning, Paolo Freire’s “Pedagogy of Freedom”, Cooperative Learning.
- Experienced in developing curricula in a number of Social Work subjects.
- Accomplished in planning, applying and evaluating every aspect of the classroom learning experience.
- Recognized for integrating information technology into post-secondary learning experiences.
- Skilled in teaching in a culturally diverse classroom.
- Experienced in a number of social work specialty areas including youth, families, adults, LGBTQ, geriatric care and the homeless, as well as persons with disabilities, chronic disease, mental illness and from different cultural backgrounds.
- Skilled at applying a diversity of theoretical concepts in the practice of social work: Empowerment, Systems Theory, Psychosocial, Harm Reduction, Problem-solving, and Cognitive Behavioural.
- Established aptitude to build rapport and to communicate complex information with individuals, groups and communities in an easy to understand manner.
- Recognized expertise by peers in understanding and facilitating group processes, developing patient care models and leading multi-disciplinary teams.
- Recognized for leading multi-disciplinary teams and for engaging and maintaining strong, collaborative relationships.
- Proficient in mediating conflicts and facilitating complex discussions.
- Ability to build on diverse ideas and perspectives to create consensus.
- Experienced in managing performance and non-performance of staff (up to 40 employees) with constructive and respectful feedback to encourage and enable performance excellence.
- Experienced in adapting to complex, diverse and stressful work environments.
- Efficient at working collaboratively with a diversity of professionals and in leading projects.
- Bilingual proficiency in English and French.
- Managed five ambulatory clinics at the Centre for Brain Health at UBC Hospital as well as two teams of Social Work professionals in BC.
- Taught Social Work to over 150 students annually for ten years.
- Supervised, trained and evaluated up to 25 social work student practicums per year at multiple post-secondary institutions.
- Conducted research on teaching social work through Universal Design for Learning (UDL) and Pedagogy of Freedom by Paolo Freire.
- Undertook a two year research project on social work empowerment practices with lesbian, gay and bisexual populations.
- Developed and consolidated resources to help LGBT youth, and organized awareness programs in schools and youth services in the Quebec City region about LGBT realities in order to fight against homophobia.
- Led the first regional research project on homophobia in schools in the Quebec City region that resulted in the establishment of a network of professionals.
- Created and maintained a professional blog, used in course curricula of four different Social Work Schools and visited over 4000 times in 2017: praxistravailsocial.wordpress.com
- Master of Social Work – University of Quebec, Montreal, Quebec, Graduated in 2008, Thesis: Fight Against Homophobia and Empowerment Practices with LGB Populations. SSHRC and UQAM Scholarships.
- Bachelor of Social Work – University of Quebec, Chicoutimi, Quebec, Graduated in 1999.
- Instructor and Chair of the Bachelor of Social Work 2019 to present
UBC School of Social Work
- Patient Services Manager 2018
Centre for Brain Health, UBC Hospital, Vancouver Coastal Health
Manage patient care in five outpatient clinics: Multiple Sclerosis, Huntington Disease, Alzheimer’s, Mood Disorder, and Movement Disorder. Facilitate multi-disciplinary meetings. Oversee staffing (e.g. hiring, orientation, evaluation), finances, patient complaint handling, work procedures, Electronic Medical Record implementation, and collaborations with UBC clinical trials.
- Social Worker 2017
Vancouver Coastal Health
Practiced Social Work in Transition Care In-patient Unit, Bone Marrow Transplant Unit, Thoracic, Tuberculosis Unit and Community Health Clinic.
- Director and Social Worker 2016 – 2017
British Columbia Resource Centre, Centre for Huntington Disease, UBC Hospital, Vancouver
Offered social work services for people with Huntington disease in a multi-disciplinary clinic; Provided direct supervision of four Social Workers; facilitated support groups, community development and advocacy services; provided training to professionals in health care settings.
- Social Work Instructor 2006 – 2016
CEGEP Marie-Victorin and CEGEP du Vieux Montreal, Montreal
Designed, planned, and taught multiple Social Work courses: Social Work with Groups, Coordination of Services, Community Projects, Advocacy, Cultural Diversity, Research Methods. Supervised and assessed co-op students. Undertook program review, and implementation of new practicum tools.
- COOP Supervisor 2002 – 2015
University of Quebec in Montreal; Laval University, Quebec City
Supervised, trained and assessed students in BSW and MSW practicums.
- Director, Social Worker and Community Organizer 2003 – 2005
Groupe régional d’intervention sociale – GRIS-Quebec, Quebec City
Provided counselling services to LGBT youth, adults and families. Directly supervised 10 employees. Responsible for service and project development, obtaining grants, representing the organization, raising awareness against homophobia in schools and among health service providers.
- Social Worker and Community Organizer 2002 – 2003
CLSC-CHSLD-Haute-Ville-Des-Rivières (Health Services Centre), Quebec City
Led support groups for LGBT youth and organized. Facilitated a Collaborative Process with professionals to enhance LGBT services.
- Community Organizer & Social Worker 1999 – 2003
Student Services, CEGEP Sainte-Foy, Quebec City
- Introduction to Huntington Disease. Lectures for health care professionals at different Vancouver Coastal Health facilities, Vancouver, 2017.
- Developing Universal Design for Learning (UDL) in a College Context: Process and Building a Community of Practice. Quebec Association for College Pedagogy, Quebec City, 2016.
- Universal Design for Learning and Teaching Social Work. Conference for the Association of College Social Work Teachers of Quebec, Montreal, 2016.
- One Note, Collaborative Work and Teaching Social Work. Web Conference, 2016.
- Fight Homophobia, Step by Step. Regional Symposium on the Fight Against Homophobia, University of Quebec in Outaouais, Gatineau, 2012.
- Fighting Homophobia and the Empowerment Perspective. Symposium on Fighting Homophobia in the Education Network, University of Quebec, Montreal, 2011.
- Empowerment Practices with LGB Youth: A Focus on Group Work. 32nd International Symposium for Social Work with Groups, Montreal, 2010.
- Homophobia in High School and the Empowerment Perspective. Quebec City Gay Pride Conference Day, Quebec City, 2010.
- Groups and Empowerment Practices. Guest lecturer in a MSW university course, University of Quebec, Montreal, 2007, 2008.
- I did not choose my sexual orientation. What about you?, LGBT Youth Regional Symposium, Quebec City, 2007.