Professional development as an Instructor

Presented in reappointment professional dossier, August 2022.

Professional Development prior to UBC – 1999 to 2016

I formally began teaching SW in 2006 at a college (CEGEP) in Montreal. Over nine years, I taught eight courses, developed new curriculum materials, and learned from more experienced teaching colleagues. During this time, I also completed professional development courses, including:

• A year-long training program for new instructors;
  • Teaching and Learning Workshops;
  • Participation in a Community of Practice on applications of UDL; and
  • Directed studies from a recognized University Education program.

I also worked with education experts to collaboratively design cutting-edge pedagogy and tools such as new evaluation rubrics, collaborative classroom technologies and project-based teaching. One of the signature research projects on which I collaborated was to develop UDL as a teaching tool. My time teaching and learning at CEGEP helped me develop and strengthen my foundation as an educator.

Continuous Learning at UBC – 2019 to Present

Since joining UBC, I have attended several workshops, conferences and programs to enhance my teaching and Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL). They include:

• CTLT Workshops: Course Design Intensive, 2019; Instructional Skills Workshop, 2019; Sharing Ideas, Tips, and Strategies for Preparing EL CVs and Dossiers, 2019; Education for Connection and Purpose, 2019; Celebrate SoTL, 2019; Classroom Evaluation and Research: Do I Need Ethics Approval, 2022;
  • CASWE-ACFTS 2019 and 2021 Conferences;
  • Universal Design for Learning, Pan Canadian Conference at Royal Roads University, 2019;
  • Mount Royal University’s Teaching and Learning Conference, 2021;
  • International Association of Social Work with Groups Symposium, 2021.

I have participated in several programs and groups for continuous professional development, including:

• SoTL Seed Program: I have worked with the Institute of Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (ISoTL) Seed Program since 2020. I am currently working on my second SoTL Seed Project, which provides a research expert, and connection with specialists at the (ISoTL) UBC and meetings to discuss completing a SoTL project with other faculty;
  • ISoTL Scholar Member: In 2022 Winter, I joined the ISoTL as a Scholar member. “The ISoTL Membership program was established in 2021 to create a formal group of experts to strengthen SoTL at UBC. Members will work together with the ISoTL leadership team to strengthen the UBC community of SoTL practitioners, engage in independent and collaborative SoTL within and beyond the classroom, and support each other in scholarly dissemination” (ISoTL, UBC, Website). Members discuss SoTL and participate in organizing events (E.g. Celebrate SoTL) on a monthly basis;
  • Centre for Community Engaged Learning (CCEL): Since Fall 2019, I have collaborated with the CCEL at UBC to explore opportunities for community-engaged learning with advisors, at events, and by connecting with other professors;
  • UBC Educational Leadership Network Mentoring Program: In the summer of 2021, I was offered the opportunity to be mentored by Sally Stewart, Associate Professor of Teaching at the UBC-O School of Health and Exercise Sciences. This mentorship has provided me with essential guidance in understanding my work as an Assistant Professor of Teaching, the tenure process, and navigating the different facets of academia.

Engaging Students to Improve Course Design

Throughout my teaching career, both prior to, and at UBC, students have been a key component of my foundation as an educator, as I believe I have as much to learn from them as they do from me. In class, I take the time to observe student interactions and learn who they are, which helped me to adapt my teaching strategies and styles to match their learning styles. I also seek feedback about courses and discuss the learning experience with them. Doing so creates stronger connections between students, the classroom experience and I. When students see how their voices can influence a course, it further motivates them to engage in the course and enhances their learning experience (Wickramasinghe & Timpson, 2006).

Here are some examples of my strategies for engaging with students:

• SOWK201: Students complete a survey (Qualtrics) before the first class to learn more about their experiences, motivations and learning styles;
  • SOWK440C/529A: At mid-term, I ask students to discuss the course, what is working, what is not working, and identify recommendations in my absence. Afterwards, I return to discuss their findings with them, and adapt the course with the agreed-upon recommendations;
  • SOWK335: We conducted focus groups on the primary pedagogy of the course (Community of Practice Pedagogy). This allowed students to share their experiences in-depth and gave me valuable information on how to continue improving the pedagogy;
  • Student Experience of Instruction (SEI): I encourage students to participate in SEI surveys and share their experiences and their ideas to improve the course. Then I read their evaluations and ideas, identifying priorities to improve the course and integrating these the following year. At the beginning of the semester, I present to students the main changes I’ve made to the course inspired by ideas shared by students. By doing so, I demonstrate how engaging in SEI and sharing their ideas can contribute to meaningful change.