MARKETING NEEDS MORE INTROVERTS?

Well, an introvert is a person who is energized by being alone and whose energy is drained when around other people but is not necessarily shy. According to Eddie Yoon, marketing needs more introverts since more power shifts to consumer and marketers will need to spend more time listening, reflecting and building fewer deeper relationships.

mktng

In the digital age, few organizations that are doing well in marketing use new tools to engage customers surface every day. The idea that most marketers should be better listeners is true since any successful communication requires receiving and transmitting messages. I however think that marketers should be both better listeners and better talkers. Listening is the key; it’s not whether you’re an introvert or an extrovert. Besides, marketers aim at convincing consumers that their products are the best and they should buying it: if the energy of an introvert is drained when around other people, how will this goal be achieved? It is possible but not reliable.

Suppose I was to apply for a marketing position in any organization and indicate that am an introvert, I bet my probability of getting the job will be minimal compared to another applicant who indicated that s/he is an extrovert and outgoing. From my point of view, Marketing needs introverts but more extroverts.

Harvard Business Review. Oct 2014, vol. 92 issue 10, p18-19. 2p by Balla John, Morgan Cynthia and Kaur Sheila. HBR article by Marc de Swaan Frank and Keith.

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608018342647759975&pid=15.1&w=146&h=97&p=0