Future Learnings

The first few years of the Ravenous Café will focus on building a successful and engaging program.  What is most important for me, is to ensure that the program grows from year to year.  In order for me to be able to deliver the most engaging process possible I need to continue learn and grow, both as a teacher and as a chef.

Growing as  a Chef

The culinary world is constantly changing with new trends, techniques, and styles emerging.  Being a cook gives you the opportunity to travel and work at different restaurants around the world, which is something that I hope to do during my summers.  There has been a shift in the way we look at food over the last decade, and we are now more focused then ever on local and sustainable products.  Many restaurants offer the ability for professionals to come and work in the restaurant for short amounts of time.  The photos showcase two of the restaurants that I hope to go and work at, learning some of the new traditions.  As well as furthering my knowledge of culinary trends, I also want to grow in other facets of food, such as gardening and butchering.  I hope to IMG_0180offer a program that looks at food from the farm to the plate.  Having the ability to break down animals and grow crops will allow me to go more in-depth into food system with my class.

Growing as a Teacher

In the short term, I would like to continue to expand my pedagogy through observations of other teachers.  I found that the experience of watching others teach offered a glimpse into many different styles and ways of teaching.  I have always loved learning, and I know that being an educator will allow me to follow this passion.  In the future I plan to pursue a masters, but in what I’m not sure.  My degree in sociology opens up many avenues of study that look at the broader social pressures around public education, which I find fascinating.