Post-Secondary Ramblings

First Days

with 2 comments

Yes, the sunglasses in my picture were given at Science Frosh 2010. I was one of the lucky 300 that registered within the first 20 minutes. I owe it all to being in Shanghai when the registration opened. I don’t think that I would’ve been able to wake up at 9:00AM just to register for Frosh. Frosh was amazing. Though we were all wet from the rain, it was a fun filled day for sure. Of course, the cupcake buffet topped it off perfectly.

I suppose the first few days of university life went by really smoothly for me. The fact that I’ve been on the UBC campus numerous times before, finding my classes was not a problem at all. It was also a pleasant surprise to see the familiar faces of my high school friends in a lot of my lectures.

The transition from high school to university was not bad for me. The only real difference I noticed was the increase in class sizes. Coming into university the classes of 30 multiplied to classes of 250. Even with such a large class, I didn’t find it intimidating at all as I was immersed in the lectures and amazed by the amount of technology that each room had, math is an exception with its chalkboards.

A major change in studying habits would be that prereading changed from being something I do to stay ahead to being a must. I found out quite quickly that the lectures fly by really quickly and that you will not be able to understand the material that is being taught thoroughly. When I didn’t understand the material that was being taught, I found my mind wander and start daydreaming.

As you can guess, I haven’t been updating because I’ve been drowning under all the reading that I’ve had to do for my classes. Thankfully I was able to climb back up, and hopefully I’ll be able to stay out of that hole and update more frequently!

Written by Renee

September 15th, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Posted in Recreation

2 Responses to 'First Days'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'First Days'.

1. lucky you to get in the science frosh….i was in china too during registration but i couldnt stay up until 11 to register lol

and i actually like the chalk boards in math classes cuz i find them easier to see than the white marker boards
    by the way, what department are u in under the faculty of science?

Peter Zhang

15 Sep 10 at 8:09 pm

2. Ahh sorry for the delayed reply.

I actually stayed up until 12 to register hahaha. Well, my other profs use projectors for lectures and I definitely prefer those.

And yes! I am in the Faculty of Science :)

reneesiu

25 Sep 10 at 11:18 pm