About Me

207b9da73-007

Hello! Welcome to my e-portfolio and professional development blog. If you want to know more about me, you’ve come to the right place!

I was born and raised in beautiful Vancouver, BC. Growing up here has left me with a deep love of the beach and an intolerance for heat. I’ve travelled to many places in my life and I always come home, happy to be back in the city I love.

Throughout my life I have had a hard time pinning down a passion to focus on. I’ve pursued everything from competitive swimming to animal sciences. I have always had immense enthusiasm for learning about the world and people around me. That being said, I have also always struggled with school. While I love learning about and discussing theory, writing (especially essays and reports) is a huge barrier for me. It wasn’t until I landed on the idea of becoming a Home Ec teacher that I finally had a light at the end of the tunnel to work toward. With this as motivation, I was able to complete my bachelor’s degree in Sociology with a specialization in Family Studies. Throughout all of this, I have continued to express my creativity and de-stress through cooking, baking, and textile arts. It took me surprisingly long to hit on the idea of teaching Home Ec considering I was always devoting weekends to teaching friends cooking techniques, or attending knitting meet-ups more to help other people with their projects than to work on my own.

1239363_10151925509366483_781434820_n

My amazing Home Ec cohort during my B.Ed. year at UBC.

I still struggle with being a student. However, I believe that these struggles make me a better teacher. My own experiences have made me particularly passionate about multimodal assessment, creating safe and supportive learning environments, and the powerful role of Home Ec programs in schools. I am excited to share the strategies I have developed, along with my sheer curiosity and love of learning, with students.

My hosts during my community field experience in Uganda.