Vancouver & UBC: first impressions

I know a little girl that always goes around saying “you never get a second chance to make a first impression!” soooo… here we go!

I absolutly love it. I’ve been in Vancouver for about 36 hours and I keep telling myself that yes, it’s real, not only am I going to live in a city, I also like the city!… I have found Vancouver very green (maybe because I’ve only been in a small part? someone correct me if I’m wrong please!) There are trees in every street and the houses all have little gardens, it doesn’t even feel like a city!

Now, UBC.

I went yesterday and walked around for about an hour, got lost and accidentally ended up in front of my future dorm! Is that destiny of what? First of all, it’s clean, and I mean really clean. I don’t claim a lot of knowledge when it comes to universities, but the ones that I do know made me think that I was in the wrong place. Really, where is the graffiti? After counsciously looking for it I found a small one in a tiny corner. That’s something I’ll have to get used to, not that it’s bad or anything! …just, interesting to think about.

Today I went again, but only to leave my bags! I signed in for Jump Start, met a really friendly Colombian girl, enjoyed the view from my 15th floor, got lost in the elevator (I’m still trying to figure out how I managed to do that), and I left! I have a good excuse to my aparent lack of interest but it’s too long of a story to write it in here.

Anyways, I spent the rest of the day riding old style bicycles in East Vancouver, having dinner at an Italian restaurant and sitting in a park until midnight. And I have very good news, I was able to see the stars!! Not as many as I see back at home, but enough to make me happy :).

I have to go to sleep now, I want to be fully awake tomorrow for my first real UBC day. To all of those that haven’t left home yet: don’t worry! it’s great! and check your bags again, you won’t need half of the things in there (I don’t know if my back is ever going to be like before after bringing in all my luggage!!)

Also, thank you everyone for the nice comments!!! as soon as I get myself a computer and some time I’ll be answering them!!!

good night!

About Valentina

I'm from a small and beautiful town next to a big and amazing lake in Guatemala.

1 Response to Vancouver & UBC: first impressions

1. Andre Malan says:

Hi Valentina, welcome to UBC! I’m sure that you will really enjoy it here. JumpStart is an awesome time, trust me. Just be sure to meet as many people as you can, I did it three years ago and some of my best friends are still people I met in JumpStart.