“Agostino” by Alberto Moravia

Moravia’s short coming-of-age novel Agostino was a very interesting yet slightly bizarre read. I had previously read another one of Moravia’s novels, Gli Indifferenti, in high school. Although I read Gli Indifferenti in Italian, I found many similarities between the two novels, and the overall mood conveyed by Moravia was the same in my experience. Moravia’s realism when writing stories about a few characters and their internal development is captivating but easy to misinterpret. In other words, it is easy to get weirded out by some aspects of Moravia’s stories. However, the message beyond the events he narrates is often meaningful and teaches the reader about personal growth, family, sexuality, and society.

Moravia’s characters are often passive to their lives, alienated by society, and overall overwhelmed by the discomfort they feel around others. Agostino fits this description perfectly well. Throughout the whole novel, the thirteen-year-old boy is in a state of unease caused by his transition from adolescence to adulthood. Seeing his mother in her new relationship, discovering about sexuality, entering a friend group that doesn’t respect him, and being the victim of Saro’s pedophilic attitudes are events that add to the main character’s distress. As readers, we see Agostino being the subject of these uncomfortable events but also being unable to react. It’s as though the main character was trapped in an imaginary prison and couldn’t properly react to what happens around him. This is very similar to the behaviors of the characters in Gli Indifferenti. It’s almost as if Moravia’s goal was to show us how frustrating it is to not take control of one’s life through his characters. Everything that remains unsaid throughout the novel is almost louder than what actually is being said. When Berto and the other boys make fun of his mom, “Agostino [wants] to say, “Don’t talk about my mother.” But he [is] so confused by the swarm of sensations and dark memories aroused in him by the question that he [is] left speechless.” (17). His inability to act is discouraging for the reader who is aware of everything that happens in the main character’s head. Even when he is overwhelmed by the embarrassment of discovering some of the worst aspects of sexuality, the main character doesn’t express his frustration. He is an object of life, not a subject if that makes sense.

After writing these reflections on the main character and his development/role in the novel, my question for the class is the following. Does Moravia portray Agostino as a passive character as a way to show the importance of taking charge when needed? Or does he simply paint a picture of an awkward thirteen-year-old without any instructive purpose?

– Bianca

5 Comments

Filed under Uncategorized

5 Responses to “Agostino” by Alberto Moravia

1. shiwen liu

Hi, great blog post! It’s interesting to know the similarities of different works by Moravia, how the author conveyed the frustration by adopting the same neorealist approach. As for your question, I think Moravia illustrated the struggles of Agostino to emphasise the importance of childhood encounters to the development of personality in the future.

2. Anonymous

Hey Bianca! Really cool that you had the chance to read one of Moravia’s stories prior to this one. You mentioned it is easy to get “weirded out” by some aspects of his stories. Glad it’s not just me who thought this haha. Don’t get me wrong i loved the messages the author was trying to convey but some parts of the book i found slightly questionable. thanks for sharing!

3. patricio robles

It is great that you have read another work of Moravia! In addition to Gli Indifferenti, he wrote a few more novels of initiation. Similar to what you mention, he portrays the explorations and afflictions of young protagonists who somehow struggle with society’s norms and their own psychological problems in these works.
    Remember to add a few tags to your posts!
    Saluti

4. madi wilde

This is a really good blog post. I agree with a lot of what you said. I think a lot of the importance of the story comes from the fact that the narrator is so immature and unknowing.

5. brianna christos

Hi Bianca, great post. I really enjoyed reading your comparison between Moravia’s two works. I think it’s really interesting that Moravia writes the two novels and uses his characters in a very similar way in both works.