‘The Book of Chameleons’ — José Eduardo Agualusa

The Book of Chameleons by José Eduardo Agualusa is beautiful and unique to read. The book was also very dreamy and it seemed like I didn’t know what was true and what was a lie or dream throughout the book. We follow the gecko’s point of view back and forth between reality, dreams, and the past.

The narrator of this novel is very interesting, his name is Eulálio, who reincarnated into a gecko. However, he still has the memory is man, and can think and observe what happens around him. Eulálio had always lived in Felix Ventura’s house, who is an albino.  Felix Ventura’s work is what I found most interesting in this book. He is a genealogist who makes up a new identity and family tree for people who have money and status but don’t have a good past. “He provides them with photographs of their grandparents and great-grandparents, gentlemen of elegant bearing and old-fashioned ladies”. (p.25)

Reading up here, Felix Ventura’s job makes me wonder, is it possible for people themselves to accept a brand new identity and get used to it? In the next scene, my question was answered. The foreigner came to Felix for a brand new identity, and he was given the name of José Buchmann and his Angolan identity. “Perhaps it’s like you see with a chrysalis, and the secret buzz of enzymes has been eating away at his organs.” ( p.63) Does a beautiful butterfly remember that it was once a small chrysalis? Why is this foreigner able to sooo easily adapt and embrace a new identity within a few months? I believe the novel also gives us an answer:  “Reality is painful and imperfect, and that’s just the way it is, that’s how we distinguish it from dreams.” (p. 94)  Similarly for us, if our past reality is ambiguous and painful, it is easier to replace and change.

In addition to the theme of dreams, truth and lies, the character Angela Lucia also adds romantic elements to this novel. She has a past she doesn’t want to talk about, but she has a future to pursue. Eulálio’s series of dreams was also fascinating. In these dreams, she was able to communicate with Felix, like a real man. This added the elements of fantasy and a more dreamy style to the novel. 

Moreover, this novel was set on Angola, and before reading this novel, I knew almost nothing about it. After finishing reading, when I searched and learned about the background of Angola, I realized how many painful memories of colonization and wars have brought to the people of Angola. Perhaps it is important it is for them to weave a false but beautiful past.  While the novel did not discuss much about Angola and war, the existence of Edmundo Barata dos Reis uncovered a real history of civil war, and the death of innocent children.

“Truth has a habit of being ambiguous too” (p 122). Referring to the title of this novel “ chameleon”, who changes itself into their surroundings to get closer to their prey. What do you think this reflects about human life? Do we hide our identity for our benefits?

7 Thoughts.

1. Hi! I think that people may grapple with the balance between authenticity and conformity, choosing when to reveal or conceal aspects of their identity based on the context and perceived benefits. So, yes, we do hide our identity at times for our benefits, but it’s a complex and nuanced aspect of human behaviour.

2. “The narrator of this novel is very interesting, his name is Eulálio, who reincarnated into a gecko.”

Felix gives the gecko the name, Eulálio, but his previous identity is not so obvious… it’s something I explore in the lecture video, which I advise you to watch.

“if our past reality is ambiguous and painful, it is easier to replace and change.”

In the lecture video, I also suggest that the book tells us it’s not so easy to “replace and change” the past. What do you think?

3. Thank you for these wonderful thoughts. I actually wasn’t quite able to understand the intent of this book. Yes, there will be a lot of people in the society who fabricate false identities to achieve something, and this cannot be disputed. However, I personally can’t really understand this kind of behavior because the beginning of a lie means that a person needs to cover up this first lie with more lies, which obviously makes one live a very tiring life.

4. Loved reading your post! I loved your note about truth being like a chameleon, and I think is something we see very clearly in this novel. Truth is something very ambiguous, like how the gecko sometimes can’t tell which is reality and what is a dream.

5. Hi Esther. I believe that quote reveals that we sometimes change ourselves and put on fake identities to get what we want. Sometimes, like a chameleon who camouflages into their background, we change ourselves to fit into what we see as the norm.

6. Hi,
    To answer the second part of your question. I do believe sometimes in life in different situations, we might hide or change our identity for our personal benefit