Weekly Book Blog

My Brilliant Friend is a Brilliant book

This week I got the chance to read My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante, and can I just tell you that I made a phenomenal choice in doing so! I am so glad that this novel was chosen for this class, cause I had read this book a while ago, and was able to approach this book with more knowledge than I had when I first read the book. I love the way in which this novel is set up; it seems as if there is so much interconnectedness between the characters, the setting in which the novel is set, and the consistency of themes throughout the novel. There are many ways that you can describe this book, but one of the ways that I would describe this novel is through the word juxtaposition. I think that there are so many things that can be dissected on their own, but it is really interesting to compare themes, characters, and concepts within Ferrante’s novel. An example of this is the juxtaposition between Elena and Lila. These two characters have a dynamic that is very interesting to critique and analyze, because they individually have so many differences and similarities, but bring out so much within each other. Elena seems like an observant individual who instead of constantly resorting to violence and stubbornness (like her friend, Lila), she is more quiet and spends time working with herself. Elena is a follower. Lila, on the other hand, is a leader, maybe even Elena’s leader. Lila is someone who fights at times, who has school come easier to her, and is quite a tough character. I think they are good friends, but sometimes there is an aspect of competition that can work for worse than for better. Another very prevalent place that competition between the two girls can be seen within the classroom; Lila is a natural student with a born talent for learning. Elena, as well as everyone else in their class (even the teacher!) Can see it, and frankly it upsets her. However, her annoyance with Lila about studying soon stops when she stops learning at school, and Elena continues. Jon mentioned this quote in his lecture, and I as well think this quote is important: “Not for you: you’re my brilliant friend, you have to be the best of all, boys and girls” (312). I feel as if this moment when Lila is telling Elena to continue her studies, its almost like she was waving her metaphorical white flag; Elena had won their competition, and Lila wanted her to continue to study. I think that Lila wanted Elena to live the life that she would never have, which is one full of academia and knowledge. It’s kind of sad to be honest with you, because it just shows how different families, upbringings, and class statuses can interfere with ones dreams. I always think about what would have happened to Lila had she stayed in school; would she continue to thrive? Would she see the competition between Elena, and give up willingly? Or would it have ended up the same, with marriage and the shoe reparations.
Something that I noticed that relates to a lot of the other novels we’ve read, is that My Brilliant Friend seems to be like recalling a memory. The novel starts off as an old Elena talking about an old, disappeared Lila. After this, the novel begins from the two girls’ childhood. Although the novel isn’t exactly written in the past tense, it seems like it is all a memory that is being presented in the present. Memory is such a salient theme throughout the whole rmst202 course, and I found that to be really interesting. I know I mentioned this earlier in my blog post, but my question for this week is “how do you feel the story would be different if Lila had continued to go to school? Do you feel as if we would have gotten the salient ‘you’re my brilliant friend’ that the book is named after?”.

Standard

3 thoughts on “My Brilliant Friend is a Brilliant book

1. raymon saran says:

Hey, great commentary. I particularly enjoyed your noting of the ironic and competitive nature of Lila and Elena’s friendship. It was cool to witness and somewhat relatable when I reflect on my own life. For some reason, in relation to your question, I feel like the separation was inevitable. However, this is 1 of 4 books in the series, so maybe they reunite…haha.

2. rebecca chan says:

Hi Abigail! I never thought about what the story would be like if Lila stayed in school until your post! I feel like up until the end, it felt like the title was always referring to Lila instead of Elena so maybe the “your’e my brilliant friend” comment could have been something that Elena would have said to Lila instead?

3. lucas alfredo ribeiro says:

You’re comment on the juxtaposition in this story rings so true to me because I feel as though the juxtaposition the characters feel as friends is one of the things I found most salient about the novel. The way in which Elena and Lila’s friendship evolves and morphs around their mutual love and envy of one another and how their changing personalities as they age also subsume these feelings and differences really heightened the drama and character writing to a masterful level. I believe it is this specific kind of juxtaposition that makes the “you’re my brilliant friend” line so powerful.