Lately I’ve been thinking about the number of SLAIS students and fellow library people there are on Facebook and Twitter. Facebook recently hit the 350 million mark, and Farmville users have surpassed total Twitter users… But considering the fact Facebook has only been around since 2004, and Twitter even later, I am amazed at how social media has spread through the world of information organizations (although not surprised).

When at one of my last library school classes for this term, we had a guest presentation and a number of VPL library directors and HR people were invited to attend. I got in a discussion with one of the library directors discussing how library school has truly changed over the years. I mentioned I take an online course, and write papers and create presentations collaboratively with others, all without one face-to-face meeting. The director was amazed, a very different reality from her days in library school.

So what will all these tech-savvy, web literate, and curious new librarians bring to organizations? Hopefully a fresh way of doing things, creative new ideas, and passing on their social media knowledge to others.