Social media in academia

Since the first week of this course, when we were introduced to the Internet Memes issue of the Journal of Visual Culture, I’ve been following with great interest how varied, numerous, and thought-provoking the existing research on social media is. In the past few years, social media has become ubiquitous with Internet usage, identity formation, and increasingly, with marketing and PR, and academia is following suit by providing outlets for publishing research on these topics.

Here is a(n incomplete) list of academic journals that cover social media:

1. Journal of Visual Culture: Founded in 2002, the Journal of Visual Culture publishes research on visual culture, including film, media and television studies; art, design, fashion and architecture history; cultural studies and critical theory; philosophy and aesthetics; and social sciences. It is interdisciplinary and often publishes themed issues, like Internet Memes, Archives, and Science and Documentary.
  2. International Journal of Social Media and Interactive Learning Environments: Founded in 2013, this journal publishes four issues per year and covers social media and web 2.0 tools that support formal and informal teaching and learning. Its first issue explores topics like the connection between social media and online learning and educational technology in the developing world.
  3. The Journal of Social Media in Society: Founded in 2012, this journal explores the connection between social media and its impact on society in a historical and social context.
  4. Journal of Social Media for Organization: Founded in 2013, The Journal of Social Media for Organizations is an open access, peer reviewed journal that situates social media in the workplace. Its editorial mandate indicates a need for this type of scholarly journal but so far it appears that only one issue has been published.
  5. International Journal of Virtual Communities and Social Networking: First published in 2009, IJVCSN publishes four issues per year and provides scholarship on social, cultural, organizational, human, and cognitive issues as they relate to virtual communities and social networking. Topics addressed include design, implementation, participation, and use of virtual communities and social networks.
  6. International Journal of Social Network Mining: IJSNM published its first issue in 2012 with a mandate to provide researchers and practitioners with scholarship on using data mining techniques for social networking analysis.
  7. Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking: With the longest history of the journals included in this list, this peer reviewed journals offers scholarship on the social and psychological aspects affecting today’s social networking practices. Its website keeps a handy guide to notable media hits.
  8. Social Media Studies: First published in September 2014, this peer reviewed journal publishes two issues per year in the areas of social media analyses and communication sciences.
  9. Social Media + Society: An online, open-access, peer-reviewed scholarly journal, SM+S explores the relationship between social media and its effect on society. The call for submissions for its first issue has gone out. (Thanks to Dean for suggesting this journal for the list.)

I am considering fleshing out this topic in my final paper and will spend time browsing some additional resources related to the academic treatment of social media. I welcome others’ ideas about resources!

2 thoughts on “Social media in academia”

1. Hi Dean, thanks for suggesting the additional journal. I found that most of the journals I included in this list are indexed in various places. I will look at adding this information to my post.