Squirrels the Size of House Cats

Posted by: | September 5, 2010 | 3 Comments

I’m here! Finally. 

After fifteen hours in a car, staying in a spider infested room, eating Hungry Herbie’s in Cache Creek, driving through the Fraser Canyon, and getting lost in Vancouver… I am here.  Moved into my dorm and adjusting.

So, I left Dawson Creek at 8am on Thursday the 2nd.  Travelled 10 hours to Cache Creek and slept in a hotel that also housed the world’s biggest spider.  Okay, so maybe not the world’s biggest, but buddy was a runner up for sure.  From Cache Creek we drove to Vancouver.  The Fraser Canyon HAS to be one of the most beautiful (yet terrifying) drives I’ve ever been on!

When we got to Vancouver, we go totally lost.  Somehow we ended up in North Van (because someone didn’t liste to me when I said to take a certain exit, but I digress).

We ended up at our hotel, two and a half hours later after entering Vancouver and found our hotel.  I got a little tour of a small portion of the city by my friend Lael, and then I went to “sleep” (I didn’t) to prepare for the next day.  MOVE IN DAY!

Seriously, at like 8am that morning I was ready to go.  I didn’t want to wait any longer.  I wanted to move in.  We got to the university got orientated, I nearly sprinted to the Totem commons block to get my check in package and keys.  After that I got to move my stuff in (which took like five seconds with all the help!) and zip bam boom, I was a resident of Totem.  Things happened so fast I kind of just sat there… stunned.  I didn’t even know what to think.  Before I knew it my mum and my auntie were back in the truck heading home, leaving me to explore the campus and move in.  I said my goodbyes and set off on a new adventure.  Move in day is overwhelming and a little frustrating (especially when you goto get your uPass and you UBC card and you hoof it all the way to the book store even though you have no idea where you are going and have to ask some poor man [thank you man who just bought his textbooks!] where he got those nifty UBC bookstore bags from and he looks like you harassed him and may or may not call campus security, but you get to the bookstore and stand in the queue for twenty minutes only to realize you need photo ID AND your student number so you have to find your way back to your dorm room to get said number and then walk all the way back to the bookstore)… but fun.  My first night of campus included eating with my floor in the caf, knocking on everyones door in the house with a huge group of people to meet everyone, going to floor meeting, and then going on a scavanger hunt.  It’s only my second day here now and it’s been amazing.  Everyone is super friendly and nice.  All in all, everything has been a whirlwind of names and faces and events and campus… but it’s only the begining.  I can’t wait to see what else is in store!

Peace, love and mystery stains on your dorm carpet that were there when you moved in,

Sam.

PS.

The squirrels on campus are the size of bloody housecats AND they’re

3 Comments so far

1. Arielle on September 7, 2010 6:50 pm

“The squirrels on campus are the size of bloody housecats AND they’re”… FINISH!!!

2. thelamblog on September 12, 2010 9:22 pm

Hello Sammy dear =) Remember me?

Join the FB group at

http://www.facebook.com/groups/create.php#!/group.php?gid=146721112031819

See you around campus!

3. Altay Otun on October 3, 2010 2:15 pm

only if you knew what you got yourself into my dear