Tightrope

Posted by: | September 24, 2010 | Leave a Comment

When you come to university, expect nothing.  When you expect nothing, it makes the first few weeks so much more easier to take.  When you hold certain expectations to something (ie. university) then you’ll either be confused or disappointed that your expectations weren’t met.  I apologize with my tardiness of updating, these first few weeks have been nothing but short of INSANE.  And if you’re a first year you can relate, and if you’re a prospective student, prepare.  The first few weeks will be some of the most amazingly fun, confusing, overwhelming, amazing, homesickening, phenomenal weeks you’ll have.  It starts off with a land slide of meeting so many new people.  I was so scared I was going to be a lonely leper when I got here!  But it’s nearly impossible to NOT make friends in rez!  You’re around so many people all the time, that to not make a friend, would be a challenge.  Right now, I’m just getting into the swing of things with classes, friends, family… just trying to find balance.

You know, one of the first things that really struck me about this compus is how beautiful it is.

I remember before moving here, people telling me that “there are many beautiful campuses around Canada, but none as beautiful as UBC.”  I think that maybe that was just nostalgia talking, but it’s true – the campus is amazingly beautiful.

Okay, now I’m going to break this into two parts:  Classes and Socializing.

Socializing

Okay, so I’m not going to lie… a large part of my first three weeks here at UBC have been spent socializing.  Living in rez, it’s hard NOT to socialize!  I love my first floor shu family!  It’s been fun meeting new people and creating new bonds with perfect strangers.  My favourite part so far has been learning new stories of where people are from and their lives.  Living in a small town, it’s so easy to get sheltered and think that nothing else really exists outside of the village bubble… coming to UBC has completely burst my bubble… in a good way.  Everyone I have met so far has amazingly interesting stories: from where they’re from, to where they want to go, to who they are.  It’s all such a neat learning experience.  Some people you bond with right away, some people you take a while to bond with and some will always be acquaintances… but it’s just nice knowing that you’re really not alone.

There is always so much to do on campus!  ALL THE TIME.  From faculty fraushes, to AMS First Week events, to welcome back BBQs, pool parties, party parties, movies, speakers, concerts, clubs… so much! 

Speaking of clubs, JOIN ONE!  It’s an amazing way to meet people.  I joined the equity club and want to join the global citizenship club.  It sounds nerdy, but it’s all good nerdy fun!

Bottom line, on campus, it’s nearly impossible to be bored!  There is always SOMETHING going on!

Classes!

SCHOOL… you know I almost forgot my first weekend here that I was at university not summer camp.  Classes hit hard.  Be prepared to read, read, read, read!  I love all my classes, eventhough philosophy hurts my head!  Nothing can REALLY prepare you from the jump from highschool classes to university classes until you actually do it.  It’s not horrible!  It’s just structured way different, and it takes a little bit to get the hang of lectures.  My first few I went too, I felt like I sat there and absorbed NOTHING the prof said… like I just had a fifty minute nap.  It gets better though.  You will develop your own note taking method and organization method.  I mean, I could tell you what I do but I don’t think it would really help.  Before I came here, everyone was telling me what I should and shouldn’t do and what I should and shouldn’t write in… ect.  Point is, when you start taking classes you’ll find what works for you and what doesn’t.  Also, if you take French 122… if your first class you nearly have a panic attack because you can’t understand what the prof is saying, don’t worry!  It’ll get better.

So, basically, my first three weeks here have been amazing.  I’m looking forword to many more amazing weeks, and also to the next four to six years I will be a UBC student.  Tomorrow is Colour Wars and the Totem Dance! 

Hope everyone is doing well and you all are enjoying school no matter what grade you’re in!

Peace, love and vitamin water,

Sam.

PS.

I have a revelation today that I am in university kindergarten.  It made me giggle.

PPS.

Living in Vancouver has done NOTHING to curb my sushi and coffee addiction… if anything it has made it more easily accessible.