Week 4 Response

This week had a lot of content to unpack, but all of it is very interesting. It really enforced the general idea of the story of Latin America being anything but straightforward, with a focus on its quest for independence.

First off, we just saw how different regions hold their own narratives of national independence, and how these can even differ within the same country. One thing that I think is really important, that was brought up in the textbook, is the fact that the independence narrative also differs from group to group. So women would’ve experienced something much different from Africans who would’ve experienced something much different from crillos, etc. These narratives can often get lost. Then to further complicate things, freedom also meant many different things to different people; whether it be freedom from slavery, the demand that the avarice of your social betters be constrained, or even just the right to worship how you please. And for some, it was even better just to keep the current social structures in place, such as slavery, as it benefited them. So, you can see how things get quite complicated…

I’d heard of Simon Bolivar before, but it was interesting to learn of the absolutely immense impact he’s had on Latin American independence. He really seemed to believe that Latin American independence was almost inevitable, and he uses the word “destined” quite often. His point on the people of Latin America being kept in “a sort of permanent infancy with regard to public affairs” is very important, and he talks about how they are rarely allowed to be more than just low-level workers or something of the sort. But he, too, is a complex figure, as can be seen with this quote from the video: “the Bolivarian dream tends to gloss over internal fissures and elide the question of who has the most – and least – to gain”. Regardless, his vision continues to inspire and motivate many today towards a truly united Latin America.

I really liked the message that Jose Marti put out through his work, “Our America”. He, too, calls for Latin America to unite as one, and not to fight among each other, as this will only hurt Latin America itself. I like that he calls on creativity as the salvation for Latin America, instead of trying to give some sort of concrete plan to follow. His point on education is very insightful, and I agree with him that “to know the country and govern it in accordance with that knowledge is the only way of freeing it from tyranny.” His choice of style, and the immense use of metaphor and allegory, can, as a reader, both draw you in and intimidate you, as the message of the text was sometimes lost on me.

Hugo Chavez’s speech was quite an interesting read. He talks about “neo-liberal globalization”, and an economic world order that heavily privileges the North. He says that “globalization has not brought so-called interdependence, but an increase in dependency. Instead of wealth being globalized, it is poverty that is increasingly widespread.” Some of the figures he provides, regarding poverty and such in the South, were really shocking and troubling to me. He talks about the “media monopoly” that the North holds, and I think that this is a very important point, as in the modern world whoever controls the media controls the way the masses think. Finally, he calls for “concerted and firm action”, and at least proposes some great sounding potential policies and such.

2 thoughts on “Week 4 Response

1. adan barclay

I, also, had only heard of Simon Bolivar and was unaware of his significance in shaping “Latin America.” In one of the required videos of this week, someone mentioned that Bolivar is described and known as the “George Washington of Latin America.” This says a lot about Bolivar, knowing Washington’s influence on the United States. Although he was incapable of completing his goals, his ideas still seem to stand as a blueprints for many today.
    Nice job!

2. Diane

I really like that you pointed out how different groups (you gave the example of Africans and women) experienced things differently and would have had different narrative, and that those narratives would be held onto and passed down based on the social construct of the time and whose voice was listened to or ‘valid’.
    I really liked your use of quotes and thought that your writting flowed wonderfully and was nice and clear!