Week 9 Response

This week focused on the ways in which the United States has looked to (and continues to look to) enforce control over Latin America. Although I’ve already studied this topic, I still really enjoyed the reading this week; and learned a lot of new information that I hadn’t known before. Also, being from the US, I found particular interest in this topic; as I think that it is important to know the ways in which your country has wronged and continues to wrong other nations and peoples; so that first off you may try and free yourself from ignorance, and then perhaps even change the way things are done.

The United States has gained influence in Latin America not only through the flexing of military power, but also through the spreading of American commercialism; American products and ideas. Focusing first on the military element, I found it very disturbing some of the ways that the US has intervened in Latin America. The United Fruit Company coming into countries like Guatemala and having basically single-handed control over the economy, transport, and power of the country is horrible, and the loss of national sovereignty seems very unstable. I found it very admirable how Arbenz continued to resist the threat of the US government, but it was almost inevitable that he could not succeed only through, as Dawson called it, “popular support”.

Where I thought the text got very interesting was when it began to focus on the more cultural ways that the United States gained influence over Latin America. This type of influence can be much more powerful and wide-spreading than military control, as you can get the actual support of the people you are controlling. Also, this influence spread past just Central America and the Caribbean, which were the only regions that the US was really able to exert any sort of military control over. I liked the focus on Disney, and how it perpetuates many stereotypes and supports ideas of imperialism. Disney has began to receive a lot more public heat in recent years, and this is a good thing, as as much as I love their cartoons there are some very important discussions to be had about them.

Just looking towards the future a bit, one place I see very plausibly being affected by the spread of American commercialism is Cuba, as US-Cuba relations have recently improved which may allow for the larger spread of American businesses and interests into the country. I sincerely hope that Starbucks does not end up popping up on every street corner!

1 thought on “Week 9 Response

1. Adan Barclay

The use of entertainment to influence Latin America was brilliant of the US.
    On another note, as you mention US-Cuba relations, I’d hope for the same! haha
    Nice job!