My Industry statement

My chosen Industry

With my current industry knowledge, I would like to stick onto computer technology industry.  The reason why I don’t want to do an industry shift because, practically speaking, the management concepts I learned should be first applied to the industry that’s familiar to me. My orientation is currently towards product management because of 2 reasons;

1. I am pretty fascinated about consumer behavior and the psycho-graphic side of market segmentation.
  2. I have a great experience working with “product” giants such as Dell Inc.(channel partner space) and Salesforce.com and have seen how effectively their products are marketed.

How the chosen industry is relevant to my career?

On a futuristic perspective, I would like to push myself into entrepreneurship. I would like to expand my family business that’s focused in school suits manufacturing industry and I’ve   identified a lucrative opportunity in the tourism industry too. But in order to accomplish these long -term goals, I’ve the perception that I need to acquire the skills needed to enlighten “creativity”   into my products/services offerings, establish a well-defined branding strategy and keep the Line of Business equipped to tackle dynamic nature of consumer behavior.  So considering my easy adaptability into computer technology, I would like to practice these concepts first in there(to ensure that I have practical learning experiences from my colleagues) before I do my own.

2-3 trends / pressures / changes occurring in the industry

Firstly, the business process solutions for most of the industries are moving towards cloud or SaaS1(software as a service) because SaaS or cloud computing is focused on efficient (minimum infrastructure and maximum productivity) use of computing resources which, in effect, would cut down business expenditure.  I have personally experienced the trend with Dell Inc. which leverages the Salesforce.com customer relationship management solution2 to tackle most of its business problems.  The cloud computing solution employs great marketing strategy whereby each business problem is segregated out and   a “complete business package “is offered as  solution .  The package is  launched as a  “Cloud offering”, which ,in turn, generates more revenue and greater customer penetration because of the clearly identified customer base.

Secondly, the mobile technology is growing up on a fast phase which, in a way, is a challenge to computing giants unless the computer companies do a market segmentation for mobile products.

How am I adding value?

In the Compute technology corporation, I see myself sitting in a board room discussing the attributes needed to launch a new product and the marketing strategies needed to roll out the new product . I am good at creativity (different thinking pattern) and once I learn the techniques of market segmentation and branding, I am sure that I can contribute very well during the crucial discussions. What also fascinates me is the consumer behavior and my HR skills will be handy in understanding the dynamic nature of customer perception.  So I see myself doing a creative role in conceptualizing the product and evolving the marketing strategies to effectively position the product.

5 years down the line, I would slowly push myself into entrepreneurship by starting with small initiatives in tourism and expanding the textile unit I already have.  My international exposure and the knowledge in product development would become handy while I start with my own business.

1. Power your business with the best of the web (http://www.salesforce.com/saas/).

2. Dell and Salesforce.com (http://www.salesforce.com/showcase/stories/dell.jsp).

10. September 2013 by Sanjoy Joseph's e-portfolio
Categories: My Interests and Passions, Sanjoy-MBA student | Leave a comment