Black Shatter = Winning

by sarahmanifold ~ March 3rd, 2011. Filed under: Fashion.

Last week I came into possession of quite possibly one of the greatest creations of this century – OPI black shatter nail polish. Now, for those of you that have never heard of black shatter, let me give you a brief description. Black shatter is an OPI nail polish that was released with both the Katy Perry and Serena Williams lines, you paint your nail a base colour and after it is dry, you paint black shatter over top – the end result, a unique cracked pattern.

My fellow comm 296 classmate Rebecca Abel also wrote about this nail polish in her blog post “Fine, Fresh, Fierce”. Rebecca’s approach to obtaining this nail polish was to purchase it on eBay after

weighing the compensatory rules like financial and performance risks against the rarity and fantastic quality.

Prior to making her decision to purchase the polish on eBay, Rebecca researched the availability of the product by talking to friends as well as using the Internet.

My approach to obtaining black shatter was initially similar; I talked to friends as well as looked on the Internet. However, my final decision was to purchase the polish in store as opposed to online. Finding the nail polish was a different story, I searched the mall for weeks until finally finding it in a bundle with another colour.

To me this other colour, a gold colour, was not something I would normally buy. However, since it was bundled with the fantastic black shatter, it was worth it for me to pay the increase in price. By bundling black shatter with a less popular colour, OPI is able to sell more of their inventory while maintaining a profit.

Well done OPI, Black Shatter = my new favourite nail polish.

Don’t forget to check out Rebecca Abel’s Blog!

2 Responses to Black Shatter = Winning

1.   ewilliamson

Nice link to Rebecca’s blog and good analysis of consumer decision process, information gathering and channels of distribution. You loaded a lot into this one post. I’ll have to check this shade out for my daughters. Linkin Park is the darkest around my house 🙂

2.   Polish Connoisseur » Lauren Kube's Blog

[…] I am dying to try is OPI’s Shattered, which is one of the coolest new products on the market. Sarah Manifold was lucky enough to be able to snag a bottle because she was willing to pay the price, both in […]