The First of Many

Hi All,

Thanks for taking the time to drop in and read my blog. I’ll spare you the introduction, which will come at a later date, and get down to the nuts and bolts of the program.
Tonight is the first of many… exams, that is! Yes, in approximately 16 hours I’ll be writing my first MBA Exam worth 70% of my class mark. What course, you ask? Accounting, of course. But that’s not all… an hour after Accounting ends I’ll be taking the SCM (Supply Chain Management) Exam from 7-9pm. And yes, that’s worth 70% of the course too. Welcome to the MBA program at The Sauder School of Business. Consider this a trial by fire, if you will.
All kidding aside, we’re well prepared for the exams having gone through an amazing amount of material in such a short period of time. Now two months into the program (Not including Pre-Core), the faculty and students have become well acquainted with each other, learning the intricacies of our 12 subjects, and the time management that goes along with the infamous MBA CORE.
What can I say? Under the direction of Steve Alisharan, Chair of the Core and Chief Accounting Instructor, the CORE runs like a well tuned Lamborghini. The program is famous for its integration of 12 subject areas that fuse all subjects together every Monday, commonly known as Case Day. On this day the students submit case memorandums and then learn from faculty, visiting professionals and guest speakers alike in an experience that is truly awe inspiring. We get a taste of strategy, accounting, ethics, marketing, supply chain, human resources and a host of other subjects all rolled into one fun-filled day at the office.
With my background in music and manufacturing, not to mention marketing and supply chain, I came to the program eager to learn. And the program did not disappoint. But the MBA CORE is more than just sleepless nights, caffeine filled mornings, hours of reading and endless excel spreadsheets… It’s about diversity and learning from those around you. In fact, we even manage to find some social time once in a while including the MBA Ice Hockey Team, which I play on. As well, there are clubs to join through the Sauder MBA Society, several sports teams such as Dodgeball and Soccer, and after-hours events such as Savour the Flavour (A new MBA dining experience founded by our very own Clement Chiang.). Savour the Flavour meets every Thursday evening at a different restaurant around Vancouver to sample the food and culture around town. Last week was Greek, where we ate, danced and broke plates with the best of them. OPA!
Well, I must be going… I have Cash Flow Statements to write and Inventory issues to resolve. Until next time.
Best wishes,
Joel
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.