Finally everyone is back from vacation and the post-core has officially started.
I am sorry it took me so long to write another entry on my blog, but the last couple of weeks in the Core were crazy! You will understand me when you get there=)
Let me now, as a part of my New Year’s resolution, follow through with my promises to tell you about some recent events.
Karaoke night
I was going to write a few words about the karaoke night that we had in the beginning of the Core. It seems soooo long ago now! But anyway, it was an amazing night that has happened annually for the last five years or so, when all the students and faculty get together at one of the karaoke bars and share favorite songs, laughs and beers. It was a nice event, one of the many get-togethers we had during the Core.
MBA House
I also promised to talk about our great facility – MBA House, a brand-new residence for MBAs, where we have all the necessary features for comfortable learning and studying. It turned out that even those students who are not living at MBA House often spend time here, working with their groups or just hanging out with friends.
Everyone has his or her own room with everything you need – a desk, bed, drawer, small kitchenette with microwave and fridge, and bathroom. We also have a great room on every floor with a proper kitchen, TV and DVD player. Ironing facilities and washing/drying machines are available as well. Downstairs we have Blenz coffee and a big room for the presentations and different events. The residence is located reasonably close to Sauder, about a 25 minute walk or 10 minutes on the bus. We also have a grocery store next to the building, which is very convenient. The only disadvantage is the construction currently going on. It could be pretty annoying, I should say! Though it is definitely a temporary problem, and soon, hopefully, it will be over!
I am honestly very happy that I have decided to stay at MBA House instead of living off-campus, even if it might have been be better in terms of my budget. I am having a much better experience and building much stronger bonds with my peers here, and it is great!
I may sound like a commercial, but I honestly think it is a great place to live, and, more importantly, to use a chance to be even more involved in the MBA experience, which includes way more than just books and lectures.
One last thing I would like to mention today is the English tutoring service for international students, which I have been enjoying for about four months now. It is free for students, and we may have up to three hours a week of private lessons with teachers from UBC, who are completing or have completed their graduate degree. Other than grammar rules clarification, if you need any, you may get a proof-read of your case memos, which is extremely helpful for me.
Next time I will talk a little bit about my experience in the Post-core and about the classes I am taking.
Oh, by the way, we now have a new building with new classrooms and plenty of smaller meeting rooms, which is great! The official opening is next week, but we are enjoying all the facilities already!