Period one of the postcore

As promised, today I will tell you a little bit about my first-hand experience with the post-core.
During the year we have six periods – five of them are studies, and one is an internship, which is an essential part of our MBA.
Every period is six weeks long. The classes for every chosen subject are four hours a week – these could be divided into two sections (two hours, twice a week), or could be run as one session, normally for the evening classes from 6 to 9-30.
The new thing for us is a lot of new people – from the part-time MBA program, exchange students, or other UBC students who can take some of our classes. It is great, because we have a chance to communicate with a greater number of students, and every one of them has an interesting personality and great work experience.
We are allowed to take four classes every period, with an opportunity to overload after the first one. So now everyone has four different classes.
I have chosen the following:
– Marketing strategy
– International Trading Environment
– Corporate Finance
– Managing e-business

As I have chosen to specialize in marketing and OBHR, the respective courses were in my priority list for all five periods, but in period one we have only “Marketing Strategy” available, which turned out to be great! The prof is really good (Dan Putler), every class we discuss one of the marketing cases (which is a great experience and entertaining as well), and the articles for readings are very well-used too. So I am completely happy with this class!
International Trading Environment by John Rias is more for general knowledge and overview, but still a nice class. We are supposed to do an export project in teams, which we haven`t really started yet… But it looks like interesting research as well.
Corporate Finance is also for general overview for me. The prof is great. Hopefully I`ll pass, because I am starting to miss the ideas he is talking about… I don`t have a financial background, so I have to do a lot of homework for this class.
Managing e-business is another class that is designed by the professor. Ron Cenfetelli, who was named the best prof in Sauder recently, is really a very good one! The class is about e-business, obviously, and is very useful for me because of my recent social media project for www.apollotea.com. We are doing consulting for the real company about their e-business strategy, which should be another great project.

So I am totally enjoying the classes right now, exploring the careers market and looking forward to the Olympics, which are less than a month away!