Summer is ahead!

Hi everyone, as you can guess, I have been pretty busy lately with the number of projects that happened to appear all at the same time – as always! I am not complaining, instead, I love such a busy life.
Today I wanted to write a few words about period three, which is almost over already. I can`t believe how fast time is flying!
I am taking marketing and HR courses this semester, and I am totally enjoying it!
Integrated Marketing Communications with Paul Cubbon is great! No surprises – we all knew Paul from the Core and I was waiting for this course. A lot of practical examples and we are all working on very real marcom projects at the moment. Great course, highly recommended!
Pricing with Jack Chen – a very useful one, fortunately, not too much math, which is great.
Two-party negotiation – a nice class with a lot of practice, which I like a lot! You can read the books all your life, but until you apply it in practice, it is hard to say that you know it, especially in a negotiation!
Managing Change with Tracey Gurton – case-based, a lot of discussion, quite a lot of practical advice. A pretty solid course and I am generally enjoying it, though it requires a lot of participation. Those of us who tend to be quiet in class may find it challenging.
Anyway, there is only a week of classes left, and then one more week for exams/presentations, and we are done with Period 3!
Capstone conference is also at the end of May, but I know very little about it now. I will keep you posted=)

As we are so close to the start of our internships, not having one is getting very painful for many (including myself). Pretty stressful, but hopefully everyone would manage to get something they like.

As a part of my efforts to get familiar with marketing in Vancouver, I am attending as many events as I can. These events are great to listen to marketing gurus, to talk to people who are currently working in marketing, to feel the trends and to network, of course.
One of the largest events in the industry is the Vision Conference, which is organized by BCAMA (British Columbia American Marketing Association). It was an amazing event to attend – huge bravo to the organizers! I tried to help as much as I could by volunteering for this event. It featured 5 great speakers, inspiring presentations and networking – very useful! I am fascinated with the creative implementations that the companies have to invent to stand out! A couple of examples – Heineken promo-event (see the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEqJV1acgN4 , it is so cool!) or Parissa (hair removal products) – see the picture http://adsoftheworld.com/media/ambient/parissa_wax_strips_backvertising.

By the way, the Parissa idea is from the Rethink agency that is based in Vancouver. We had the honour of visiting this agency just recently for a field trip and learned more about their successful campaigns (such as Parissa or loonie with “no tanker” stamp). Very creative agency and high-energy ideas!

Finally, just a few words about 2nd Alumni Hockey Tournament which was held on May, 8th. We had 5 teams of alumni and current students, who got together to play hockey at Thunderbird arena on the UBC campus. There were beautiful games, amazing speed and fantastic moments! During the dinner we had a very passionate speaker – Canadian Olympian Alexa Loo!
That is all for now, stay tuned!

Posted by Julia Dorofeeva