Alumna Guest Entry: Bethany Bohme

IMAG0370

Wreck Beach

My name is Bethany and I’m an Account Executive with Robert Half Technology. What that translates to, is that I have a career at a recruitment firm in which I specialize in consulting with executive level management at the best companies to work for in BC about their Tech/IT hiring needs. Many of the companies we consult with are growing tech start-ups. When I wake up most mornings I spring out of bed, have a solo dance party and walk to work with a smile on my face.

The most important skill I acquired from the MM program was learning how to effectively negotiate. Most things in life are negotiable. The sooner you’re able to really narrow in on honing this skill, the more satisfying outcomes you’ll experience in business and life. Whether it’s your first salary, rent on a new apartment, or where to go for dinner with your friend, negotiation is key. Negotiation isn’t about winning or losing, it’s about compromise. Ultimately, being an effective negotiator will make you a more desirable colleague, employee, and partner, because it requires you to actually listen to what the other party is saying. The value of this can never be understated.

My advice for potential applicants to the MM program is to connect with as many people as you possible can, and never stop. During the program I forced myself to go to networking events every couple weeks, even though at the time this was very much outside of my comfort zone. Even now, I constantly remind myself that everyone else at the event also showed up there for the same reason – to meet new people! If you can connect with 1, 2, or 5 people an event, those are valuable connections. No matter whom you meet there’s a very good chance if you just ask, that they know someone in the industry/career that you’re interested in, and can facilitate an introduction. Vancouver is very, very small. Treat everyone you meet like gold.

– Bethany Bohme, MM ’13