Be a Creative Teacher..

I have come across a fascinating book titled “Creative learning for inclusion: Creative approaches to meet special needs in the classroom” by Edward Sellman that really captures the essence of inclusion in the classroom of students with special needs. Everything about this book (by the titles and sub headings) looks intriguing and noteworthy. Unfortunately I have not managed to read the entire book but I found a particular chapter that I will discuss for this post. The chapter on ‘Creative Approaches to Inclusion’ really caught my attention. This chapter was also very long and therefore I have focused on one aspect to give an overview on. Although there are many factors that are required for adopting creativity in the classroom, one factor that was important and that stood out to me was being a creative teacher. This resonates with me as an aspiring teacher therefore I chose to briefly discuss it. I have not read all the case studies in order to obtain practical creative solutions or activities that can be implemented in the classroom but the idea of being creative is so powerful on its own. Just like the new curriculum promotes, it’s really up to each unique and inventive teacher to come up with their own ideas of what creativity means. It varies for all.

Given the challenges faced by those working with special needs individuals and groups, creative approaches and solutions often have to be found in order to meet students’ every day needs and/or to translate conventional curriculum and teaching methods into formats and approaches that will “work” with them ( Sellman, 2013).  As a result, the special needs teacher can create or adapt a multitude of artefacts: the visual timetable to support the needs of children with autism or ADHD, the multitude of communicational aids, the sand tray to reinforce multi-sensory approaches to spelling and so on (Sellman, 2013). Many of these “creations” have often found their way into mainstream context as what turns out to be effective for individuals with special needs is also often more generally effective (Sellman, 2013).

A creative teacher is also a critical teacher. They are critical of what they teach and always look for ways to expand their way of teaching. Such a teacher understands that the field of special needs is often controversial and often asks critical and perhaps difficult questions to broaden their understanding. Example questions include ‘Is a student being educated in the most suitable place/group?’, ‘Is their current provision adequately meeting their needs?’ If it isn’t, ‘How can this practice be improved in their best interests?’ (Sellman, 2013).

I will continue reading this book and take away useful techniques and ideas that will be helpful for all teachers. Below is the citation of the book if anyone is interested in reading.

Sellman, E., & Ebooks Corporation. (2012;2013;2011;).Creative learning for inclusion: Creative approaches to meet special needs in the classroom. New York; Abingdon [U.K.];: Routledge. Doi:10.4324/9780203818145

1 thought on “Be a Creative Teacher..

1. jonesrox

My greatest joys in teaching were in being given the freedom to be creative, trying new ideas and learning from the students and others. Your readings have given you insight into how to move forward in the classroom and teach to your diverse population. It also encourages you to use your creative side and take risks. Wonderful!!