BLOG 4: FreshGrade

FreshGrade

Technology is everywhere- it is a critical part of our culture. It can be an effective tool that drives student learning if utilized appropriately in the classroom. Although there is an abundance of amazing classroom technology out there, one in particular that I wanted to share is FreshGrade. I have yet to implement it in my classroom, but while I was in Vancouver, my sister’s teacher was using it as an assessment tool. Here and there, I would log in to the parent account and explore the app and see how it was being used. Even as a first time user, it was so simple, efficient and a great way to share student learning. I was so impressed with the app how the teacher was using it in a timely manner that I had since looked forward to learning more about it. What exactly is FreshGrade you ask?

Image result for fresh grade

FreshGrade is an online portfolio where teachers, students and parents all interact to capture and comment on the student’s school work. The program also allows teachers to create and grade custom assignments, which are then tracked in the tool.

The most powerful use of FreshGrade is the inclusion of teachers, parents, and students. As a collective, these stakeholders are given the opportunity to share, reflect, and enhance learning. They each have their own account but each individual will have their own account and access to different information and data. 

Teachers create a digital class by uploading their class list, or can integrate a class list using Clever. This process creates an individual portfolio pages for each student in the class. The teacher can then use the FreshGrade app to upload materials – documents, pictures, videos, audio or comments – to individual student pages or to the whole class page. Using the browser-based version of FreshGrade, teachers can also create, assign and grade activities. These activities can be aligned to specific standards and include attached documents. They can be assigned to an individual student, a group, or the whole class. 

When students use the FreshGrade student app, they are able to view only their own portfolio page. Students can comment on the work in their portfolio, or upload their own materials using the app. The app sends a notification to teachers when there is new activity in the student’s account, and to students when the teacher uploads a new class-wide document. FreshGrade encourages student reflection and goal setting through the use of comments. Moreover, it allows students to track their progress and self-reflect on their work. 

Parents use FreshGrade to view their child’s portfolio and to comment on the items it contains. Parents also receive notifications when there is new activity in the portfolio. Teachers can use this app as a communication tool to get in touch with parents more efficiently and get quicker responses. Further, parents can track their child’s progress and give them more visibility on how their child is doing at school.

Although I haven’t gotten the opportunity to use FreshGrade for my classroom because the school I was working at had their own preferred school wide website (ClassDojo) , it is definitely a tool I will use in my future practice. What better way to use one tool to empower students, save time, and engage parents. If used appropriately, assessment for, as and of can be collected for all students and then recorded in the grade book provided by the website. I will take full advantage of this wonderful online portfolio, and make sure to use all of its features to get the most out of it. Since there is an app version, I will use my iPhone to quickly take pictures of student work during classroom time, or after school and instantly upload it onto the website so parents can see what their kids are learning at school. This app will motivate me to be up to date with my marking, and assessment because both students and parents will be eagerly waiting. I can also use it for school reminders such as homework, field trips or other important events happening at school.

BLOG THREE:

When we invest time up front to build the vision [of what students are to be learning], we gain it back later in increased student motivation and the resulting higher‐quality work.” (Chappuis, 2009)

Creating a learning goal that aligns with the curriculum objectives of your grade and co-constructing a success criteria with your students that will portray the necessary steps to achieve the learning goal are crucial in creating strong independent learners. Although it may seem like an arduous task to create a learning goal for every new lesson or unit and a success criteria to meet that goal, it is definitely worth the effort when it results in higher engagement, enthusiasm, and better work habits. For this reason, I have chosen the quote above to link my learning to. From the past three modules, I have learned that there are many crucial measures  that are necessary in order to achieve a clear and concise vision for all learners.

Understanding the three types of assessment (For, As, Of) and differentiating between them as well as realizing how interconnected they are is key. Dr. Lorna Earl mentioned in her video that we are now in an environment where High Quality Education for all is the main purpose. Dr Lorna Earl emphasised on the importance of Assessment As Learning above the other types because she believes it is the means for self-monitoring, thinkers. Further, she adds that doing more assessment is not enough, it’s about doing the right kinds. This statement really stuck with me because if we educators don’t put forth our best efforts to create high quality assessments then we cannot expect high quality work from our learners!

When creating assessments for our students, we need to know who they are and how best to assess them according to their needs. This is especially imperative for special needs and ELL students. As stated in the Growing Success Document, before instruction begins, we educators must delve into the student’s history and create a diagnostic assessment based on report cards, IEP’s, previous teachers, parents, and other professionals that have worked with the student. These assessments will help us make vital accommodations or modifications in our classroom and teaching practice. Furthermore, assessing students interests and funds of knowledge, and behavioural patterns using classroom observations and pretests, are also critical and ultimately leads to more effective goal planning and lesson planning. Above I have mentioned the Diagnostic Assessment portion of Assessment for Learning but equally as important is the Formative Assessment portion. Formative Assessment occurs frequently and on going during the year, to “monitor progress, provide feedback and differentiate instruction and assessment” (Learning for All, pg. 29). This type of assessment allows teachers to adjust their instruction and for students to modify their learning strategies and setting different goals while still learning the required content.

Just like we need to teach with a purpose, students need a purpose for learning. If there is a reason, a meaning for learning, the connections that students make and the level of retention of that information grows. If we don’t share the purpose for why they need to learn the skills and concepts we are teaching, then their own reasoning, motivation and interest drop. This is when learning goals and success criteria come in to play.

It is important to explicitly tell the students WHAT they will be learning (Where am I Going?) and HOW they will be successful in mastering that skill (How am I Going?). These combined not only help ensure success in each student’s learning, they help students to take ownership over their learning.

Learning Goals tells students exactly what skills and concepts they will be learning in each and every lesson. By providing your students with learning goals, you are giving them the first step in knowing their purpose for the many activities you will be completing during the lesson. It gives them a chance to process what they will be learning before the learning even begins. Students can start to take ownership over their learning when they:

• Put the learning goal in their own words
  • Self-assess where they are in relation to meeting the goal
  • Come up with next steps that they could take to meet the goal (if they are not already meeting it)

Success criteria summarize the key steps or ingredients the student needs in order to fulfill the learning goal – the main things to do, include or focus on. They can help your students take ownership over their learning as they can:

• Use it as a reference when they are working independently if they get stuck
  • Come up with the success criteria themselves
  • Track their progress in using the success criteria to meet their learning targets

Watching the 3 segments on success criteria on the edugains website has helped me realize the significance of co-constructing the success criteria with my students. This is definitely on my priority list when it comes to updating my current assessment practice. I will be using the 4 step model: Brainstorm, organize, write down, and revise, edit and refine. First, I will write our learning goal on the board or on chart paper. Next, I will use a different chart paper with the heading success criteria. Then, I will hand out the assignment, and ask students what are some things we can look for that will show that we did the assignment successfully. Alternatively, I may give them a well done piece versus a poorly done piece and ask what made things helped make it successful. Together, we will brainstorm the criteria, and I will organize it and make it more concise. Next, I will rewrite it on a chart paper and we can take a look at it again to see if we want to change anything or add anything to it.

Moreover, I will make sure to provide more consistent and timely feedback. Although I do provide feedback for my students, I intend to make a weekly schedule where I meet students in groups or one-to-one to discuss their progress, or provide feedback for specific assignments. This way I listen actively to their responses and concerns and give them my full attention. At the same time, students can truly benefit from our conversations and feedback. Creating a feedback log to keep track of my feedback and student responses is also a new tool I would like to implement in my future practice. Sometimes you lose track of which students responded to your feedback and which didn’t, therefore, having a feedback log can really save time and keep things more organized for myself and my students.

Blog 2:

Image result for knowing your students

“Who are my students?” -Kristen

THIS is the central question that we strive to build our assessment around to improve student learning. Not only should teachers know about their students as learners but also as people! What are their interests in school but also out of school? What is their ethnic background, their first language, their SES status, their hobbies, their favourite song and movie, their favourite subject and so on? Although we have been provided with an ample number of strategies we can carry out, I will provide three prime practices that I strive to achieve in my classroom.

1) Creating a Socially and Emotionally Safe Environment.

As Maslow proposed in his hierarchy of human needs, basic wants must be met before students can turn their attention to learning. After securing food, water, shelter, and safety from harm, people seek as their next most important needs affection, belonging, and esteem. In the process of coming to know students, a caring and interested teacher can develop rapport and trust not just between teacher and student but among students. This trust and acceptance creates a psychologically safe atmosphere in the classroom, which provides the security students need to adjust their minds to new experiences, and deep learning. A sense of belonging and being valued maximizes the chances that students will take such risks. Simple gestures such as learning proper pronunciation of each students’ names, greeting students in the morning, noticing small changes in their hair or outfit, conducting morning meetings as well as making an effort to celebrate the diversity that exists in your students, supporting all language learners, and accommodating to meet students learning, social and emotional needs are great ways to foster a safe place. Another crucial step as an educator in adopting a safe space for students is becoming culturally competent.

See the source image

2) Culturally Responsive Pedagogy

Culturally competent teachers assure that the curriculum will be taught, that the curriculum will be delivered in a way that is responsive to the collective norms and experiences of the student population which in turn will enhance the class environment through the diversity and uniqueness that each student exhibits. Culturally responsive learning goes beyond a student’s culture and language but considers their self-esteem, sense of efficacy, cultural norms, social status within the class or group, life experiences, dispositions and attitudes, habits of mind, and their families. As educators, it is our duty to appreciate and celebrate all our learners including Indigenous Peoples, the minority class, the majority class, the ELL students, and the low SES students. When we know our students deeply, we are able to determine individual readiness for learning with greater accuracy and then pitch instruction more precisely. It can become overwhelming to keep track of all your students information collectively or individually. Therefore, my final practice is a solution to gathering all that data and information and monitoring and adjusting it throughout the year.

See the source image

3) Developing Student and Class Profiles

This was a significant takeaway from Module 5 because I have yet to implement a class profile in my teaching practice. To help meet the challenge of coming to know your students, Chapter 4 of Learning for All-A Guide to Effective Assessment and Instruction for All students, Kindergarten to Grade 12 recommends developing class and student learning profiles to capture five important dimensions of learning identity: biological traits, cultural and societal factors, emotional and social influences, academic performance, and learning preferences. You won’t acquire all of this information at one time, but as you continue to collect and compile student data, a meaningful and useful learning profile should emerge.

Malcolm X once said “We cannot teach what we do not know and we cannot lead where we will not go.”

Going forward, not only will I be altering aspects of my teaching but also aspects of myself on a professional and personal level. Continuous professional development workshops and taking advantage of other opportunities to deepen my knowledge will be a small step I can take to enrich my teaching practice and stay up to date with the curriculum. In addition, I will strive to improve my understanding of all cultures in my class especially Indigenous culture and ELL students. Some ways I can incorporate culturally practices are using the talking stick (used in Indigenous culture) in my morning meetings after students understand the significance of it, rotating between different languages to greet students in the morning, displaying and reading aloud dual language books, using technology as a resource to skype elders of certain cultures whom we can all benefit from and celebrating cultural practices/events as they present themselves throughout the year. I will provide more differentiated learning opportunities for my students to allow them to expand their creativity when expressing their learning. For example, in the past I would assess students based on one type of project such as having them create poster boards. Presently, I would offer, expose and encourage them to utilize various techniques and methods to share their learning such as using technology (PowerPoint, brochures, Video clips, Show your learning apps, make a movie) oral presentation, booklets, sketch notes, and the list goes on (or methods the students come up with themselves). Most importantly, I will create digital class and individual profiles to deeply understand and collect important data on all characteristics of my students and fully appreciate them and meet their social, emotional, psychological and academic needs to the best of my ability.

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/general/elemsec/speced/LearningforAll2013.pdf

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/literacynumeracy/inspire/research/CBS_ResponsivePedagogy.pdf

Blog 1: Assessment and Evaluation

A quote that stuck with me from one of my Professor’s was: The purpose of assessment is not to measure but to enrich and enhance learning.

A guiding question that I will be connecting back to throughout this course is how can students play a role in the development of assessment or the assessment process? If students help create the assessment and have a deeper understanding of what is expected of them, will they take appropriate measures to ensure better achievement? In my professional opinion, students will have a better understanding of what teachers expect them to know, understand or be able to do which will consequently allow them to take greater accountability for their learning.

Coming August will be the third year that I have moved to Ontario and I have yet to grasp all of which the curriculum has to offer as well as recognized assessment tools, frameworks and strategies that are being utilized. I would like to delve more deeply into the implementation of technology as an effective assessment tool in the classroom. How can technology assist in understanding the minds of the children? We are currently living in a society where students know what technology is before they even begin school, therefore, can technology provide another way to assess what students are learning and understanding? My goal is to deepen my knowledge of assessment and proficiently incorporate it into my teaching to meet the needs of all learners.

At the end of the day, we are striving to build hearts not just minds in our students so that they can function and work collectively to create a better society. My understanding is that every student is unique and special in their own way. Every child learns differently, communicates differently and portrays their understanding differently therefore it’s important to adapt your assessments to fit the needs of all your students. This may seem impossible at first, but it gets easier once positive relationships are built and we know more about each student. I have high expectations from my students but that’s only because I have high expectations for myself. As an advocate for executing Social and Emotional Learning in my classroom, I strongly believe that students cannot flourish academically if they are not supported socially and emotionally.

How will I continue to grow?

As an educator, I would try and continuously enhance my intellect and grow both professionally and personally. I would self-renew, reflect and consistently look back at my philosophy to remind myself of what I believed in coming into the profession. This reminder will motivate me to pursue my values and what I stand for and allow me to move forward and recreate that spark and passion that I have right now.  I will ask the District that I am working for if there are opportunities for me to enhance my teaching skills and will attend what they offer. I will also consistently sign up for Professional Development workshops and take fullest advantage of all the learning opportunities that are presented to me. My inquiry question is around inclusivity in the classroom especially students with special needs and therefore I would use this question as a key guiding element in my professional growth plan. I would try and find resources that I can utilize that will help me find answers and find pathways through my inquiry. I know that my questions will never fully be answered but that’s the beauty with the field of education. It will constantly be expanding, altering, enhancing and developing and we as professionals should be doing the same and moving in the direction that the future of education will be moving. It is so much easier to use the same lessons every year, the same projects, and the same worksheets, but if we do not reflect and enhance our teaching every year, we will inevitably lose our passion and intellect and feel drained. Furthermore, our well-being is just as important as our students’ well-being. It’s difficult to portray passion, energy and enthusiasm in our teaching if we are not giving our body the rest it deserves. I think it is crucial for educators to have their feelings and emotions in check before attempting to create a positive classroom environment let alone trying to maintain it. As the future educator, I would try and take my emotions and feelings as seriously as I would of my students because how I feel will most definitely affect my teaching, my relationships, and my students and their behaviours. Therefore, fostering self-awareness of my mental health and my self-regulation strategies are important. Learning about emotions specifically how to deal with them and how to respond to others emotions is a great start in self-regulation. Attending emotion focused workshops will be beneficial as part of my professional growth. Furthermore, having an outlet for stress and incorporating different strategies to alleviate stress is essential. For instance, a strong and positive support system, healthy lifestyle, entertainment options, religious involvement, and mindfulness practices are all great way for me to keep my emotions in check and decrease stress.

What have I learned this year?

This program has been a great learning experience for me especially the two practicums. I am proud of myself for choosing the social and emotional learning cohort because it perfectly resonates with my teaching philosophy and my values as an educator. This program has taught me a great amount about the importance of the social and emotional learning which I was not fully aware of in the past.

The abundance of SEL focused activities, lessons and games that I have gained throughout the year are incredibly overwhelming. I often have to take a minute to think back and remember everything that I learned before trying to implement it in my practicum. Building an SEL environment is an integral part of a positive classroom. Some of the strategies that I implemented were check-ins, brain breaks, Second step and Mind up, and children’s literature which all worked well with my students. My students had a difficult time with regulating their emotions, therefore, mindful breathing and helping students understand what it means to manage emotions had a huge impact in their behaviours and management. Using picture books were my personal favourite and a great hook to every lesson. It instilled curiosity in the students and allowed them to make connections and ask questions. Most importantly, they were an enjoyable and calming tool for starting any new lesson or unit. Moreover, using picture books are a great way to address social and emotional issues in the classroom through questions, discussions etc which is what I often did when needed.

My inquiry journey has played a significant role in my teaching practice especially during my long practicum. My inquiry question is: How can I create an inclusive environment especially of students with special needs?  Our role as an educator is to teach children, and there is no specific category in which the term children falls into therefore, we do not educate any specific type of children except all of them entirely. Children should not be labeled, or categorized or distinguished from one another in any aspect. Children should feel safe, accepted, capable, and powerful.

In my opinion, in taking steps towards inclusion, of most importance is to remember that you as a teacher are a role model to the students. If the teacher shows unacceptance of the student with special needs, the other students won’t accept them either. Consequently, if the classroom teacher feels good about inclusion, the student with special needs will thrive. If the teacher feels resentful about the extra work, the student will likely suffer. Moreover, inclusion works better when the professionals in the school collaborate. However, not all professionals are available or are willing to collaborate. The regular classroom teacher must be prepared to continue teaching their student with special needs with or without collaboration. It is up to us future educators to not let the traditional ways of practice define our strategies for including students with special needs. We must work collaboratively to change the policies and create a more just education system for all learners.

I look forward in exploring this issue further throughout my education profession and I am eager to learn more about it, implement and integrate it into my teaching in the future.

Philosophy: What are my educational commitments:

As future educators, it’s important to have an understanding of what we value and what we will strive to build in our students. Having these goals builds a platform for what we will be working towards as we begin our journey as teachers. For me, there are five important statements that resonate with my beliefs and ultimately define my passion and goals for myself and for my students. Having an inclusive and safe environment that builds community and promotes uniqueness and voice within children is utmost important. If students cannot feel safe and belonged, they cannot flourish and grow intellectually, socially or emotionally. Moreover, teachers should be role models who influence and encourage behavior that students can mirror. They should create a positive relationship with all their students. Students spend more time with teachers than their own mothers sometimes so it’s crucial to be good examples and build strong relationships with those young ones who often look up to you. Teachers should allow students to explore their passion and find their inner love for learning. Once this is accomplished, students become more motivated and work harder towards their goals. As educators, we should make every effort to create critical thinkers who will participate as great citizens. At the end of the day, we are striving to build hearts not just minds in our students so that they can function and work collectively to create a better society. I believe students should experience outdoor and out of classroom education that will enrich and enhance their learning. All of these beliefs will not do justice if it does not support the mental and physical health of all students which is significant in their overall learning.

My understanding is that every student is unique and special in their own way. Every child learns differently, communicates differently and portrays their understanding differently therefore it’s important to adapt your lessons to fit the needs of all your students. This may seem impossible at first, but it gets easier once relationships are built and we know more about each student. I have high expectations from my students but that’s only because I have high expectations for myself. I would like to be treated the way that I will treat them but regardless I will try my best to show them how much I care about them.

To help build positive, respectful relationships with my students I will always try my best to get to know them, show them that I care about each one of them, and be respectful towards them. Giving students the time to connect with you by staying longer after school, being open to conversation, and initiating interesting topics to talk about are crucial. Moreover, getting to know them on a deeper level through connecting with their lives, building relationships with their parents and guardians and showing interest are useful strategies towards a positive classroom environment.

My Professional Identity:

Most people realize at a young age that they want to be a teacher but that was not the case for me. In fact I was not really sure until last year that this would be the career path for me. Although I did not want to go into education, I was set on becoming a social worker who worked with foster kids. Consequently, I was passionate about working with children. I am so grateful that I have made this decision even though two years ago, I would not have even considered it as an option. I love children and what better way to show that love than to educate them, support them, and help them grow to their fullest potential. There is no better joy or satisfaction than that. I am overjoyed that I was taken into this path, and feel truly blessed and fortunate. Although being an educator places a heavy weight on my shoulder, with the pressure of changing children’s lives and the responsibility of taking good care of them, I will take on the challenge whole-heartedly. I believe the biggest factor that motivates my teaching beliefs is my personality. I strongly believe in being kind, caring, and patient which resonates with my character and my values as a professional. I also love to have fun, be outdoors and live actively which will definitely be witnessed through my teaching and my professional identity. I think its very important that educators stay true to themselves and not feel the need to have two separate identities. There are however many ethical standards as professionals that I must consider, and be aware of in order to successfully continue my journey.

Teaching Philosophy:

I would want to create a classroom environment that focuses on more than just classroom management because I believe there are many other aspects of teaching that are just important  if not more. As my teaching philosophy states, creating safe learning environments, providing growth opportunities for students emotionally, socially and academically, creating strong relationships with students and implementing outside education are crucial for an enhanced learning experience.

Highlights of the Week:

For me, good teaching involves creating a safe and positive environment, building positive and strong relationships and implementing social and emotional learning.

Good teaching can be measured through successful outcomes portrayed in student engagement, interactive lessons, and innovative learning. It goes far beyond grades and assessments although those are authentic strategies as well.

After listening to the presentation by TRB, I became more aware of the importance of being a professional and setting important boundaries. I know many of the incidents that have occurred are rare but always being conscious and alert of your surroundings and your role as not just a teacher but as a citizen is critical for the well-being of children. Hearing the story of the new teacher who had left on long term disability really had an impact on me.  As a person suffering from anxiety, I sometimes become fearful of being overcome by my anxiety and I continue to find different strategies that help reduce the effects. I am hopeful that my passion for teaching will exceed any levels of fear and anxiety.