Week One: Student Videos

Simran Dhaliwal

The first video I chose to watch was “The War on Drugs” by Dianne Keyes and Michelle Nzioki. . The students incorporated many visuals including photos of individuals, places and objects mentioned. It was helpful for the  viewer. On top of this, the voice-over changed tone and emotions a lot. The information was interesting but kind of brief. I felt like it could’ve been explained more thoroughly. It was a good pace and not stretched out longer then it should be.I admired how the students found someone who grew up in Colombia and were able to interview them. That was a special add on that allowed authenticity and a first hand account.

The second video I chose to watch was “The Legacy of US Interventionism in Latin America.” The students placed each case in chronological order allowing me to see how much of an impact America has had throughout history. The voice over was slower than the first video.Although I never missed out on anything, it was hard to pay attention. The video itself was informative and very specific. I liked how the creators chimed in with their own opinions from time to time. Some particular quotes that stuck out were ” North America thrives because Latin America doesn’t ” and “America treated Latin countries as institutions that would further their economic interests.” This clip left me asking questions and drove me to do some research on my own.

The third video I chose to watch was “Independence Narratives, Past and Present.” This video was definitely entertaining and made me laugh. I was more focused on the background, the props and  flags/lands on their faces rather than the information. I had to rewatch it to get a feel of what the students were talking about. It was simple to follow but lacked a lot of context that explained the topic in depth. It just scratched along the surface.I loved the microphone spoons though!!

The fourth video I watched was “The Terror”. Honestly, I would say this was my favourite video. The students used video clips instead of pictures. You feel a greater connection and understanding. The beginning reeled the viewer in and really caught my attention. The students read out the narration of someone who witnessed the massacre. The account was chilling and very gory. I was invested in this video and wished there was more. It was interactive. There was a story-telling vibe. Overall, I would say this was the most enjoyable content-wise.

After completing this blog post and watching some videos, I have an idea of what to do for my final project.