Simran's Engl 470 Blog!

Blog Post #10: GGRW Character Analysis

Posted by in Uncategorized

Write a blog that hyper-links your research on the characters in GGRW using at least 10 pages of the text of your choice. For this assignment, I will be analyzing pages 39 to 49 from Green Grass Running Water 2007 edition. The section begins with Coyote and GOD/dog talking about the Sky World and Water World. According to Jane Flick and multiple other scholars, Coyote is referred to as a mythological trickster figure (143). Coyote is extremely prominent in First Nations and Native American myths, and is even seen as a…read more

2

Blog Post #9: Adam & Eve vs. Charm, the Twins, & the Animals

Posted by in Uncategorized

What are the major differences or similarities between the ethos of the creation story or stories you are familiar with and the story King tells in The Truth About Stories ? To begin with summarizing two creation stories, King’s creation story is revolved around a curious woman named Charm, who lets her curiosity get the best of her as she digs a hole too deep, and falls from the sky, into a world full of only water, also known as earth. To accommodate the woman, the water animals let her stay on top of…read more

5

Blog #8: Does Canada boast a white or multicultural identity?

Posted by in Uncategorized

For this blog assignment, I would like you to research and summarize one of the state or governing activities, such as The Royal Proclamation 1763, the Indian Act 1876, Immigration Act 1910, or the Multiculturalism Act 1988 – you choose the legislation or policy or commission you find most interesting. Write a blog about your findings and in your conclusion comment on whether or not your findings support Coleman’s argument about the project of white civility. All my life, I have been proud to say, that Canada has become the…read more

4

Blog #7: The Map That Roared

Posted by in Uncategorized

In order to address this question you will need to refer to Sparke’s article, “A Map that Roared and an Original Atlas: Canada, Cartography, and the Narration of Nation.” You can easily find this article online. Read the section titled: “Contrapuntal Cartographies” (468 – 470). Write a blog that explains Sparke’s analysis of what Judge McEachern might have meant by this statement: “We’ll call this the map that roared.” “We’ll call this the map that roared.” Judge McEachern’s words have sparked an interest around their ambiguity, especially from Matthew Sparke…read more

2

Blog #6: The Omnipresence of Culture Shock

Posted by in Uncategorized

#3: We began this unit by discussing assumptions and differences that we carry into our class. In “First Contact as Spiritual Performance,” Lutz makes an assumption about his readers (Lutz, “First Contact” 32). He asks us to begin with the assumption that comprehending the performances of the Indigenous participants is “one of the most obvious difficulties.” He explains that this is so because “one must of necessity enter a world that is distant in time and alien in culture, attempting to perceive indigenous performance through their eyes as well as…read more

10

Blog #5: Home on ENGL 470A 99C’s Common Ground

Posted by in Uncategorized

“Read at least 6 students blog short stories about ‘home’ and make a list of BOTH the common shared assumptions, values and stories that you find and look for differences as well; look to see if you can find student peers who appear to have different values then yourself  when it comes to the meaning of ‘home.’”  I would like to begin by thanking each and every one of you for sharing your personal stories and for allowing me to learn about the meanings behind your respective homes. It is truly such…read more

0

Blog #4: Home Is Where My Heart Is

Posted by in Uncategorized

Write a short story (600 – 1000 words) that describes your sense of home; write about the values and the stories that you use to connect yourself to, and to identify your sense of home. Waking up every Sunday morning at 7:00am for the past 20 years of my existence. That is where my sense of home lies. “Simran, wake up! We’re going to be late!” is what I heard from my shrieking mother, nearly each and every Sunday morning. My brother was not spared either, as my father would take the liberty…read more

2

Blog #3: The Horror of the Moles

Posted by in Uncategorized

Your task is to take the story about how evil comes into the world, the story King tells about the Witches’ convention in Chapter One of The Truth about Stories, and change it any way you want, except the ending. You can change to place, the people, the time – anything you want. But, your story must have the same moral – it must tell us how evil came into the world and how once a story is told, it cannot be taken back. First, learn your story by heart, and then…read more

2

Blog #2: The Value of Two Stories, Borders, and Ceremonies

Posted by in Uncategorized

Write a summary of three significant points that you find most interesting in the final chapter of If This is Your Land, Where are Your Stories? 1. The Value of Two Stories One possible answer to the overlying question of “If this is your land, where are your stories?” is as follows: one story regards a “chronicle of events, how we came to be here” and another points to a “ceremony of belief, why we belong here” (Chamberlin 227). By mentioning these stories that often exist in a dichotomy, Chamberlin is…read more

12

Introduction

Posted by in Uncategorized

To my fellow ENGL 470 classmates, Dr. Paterson, and anyone who may have stumbled upon this blog site – welcome! My name is Simran Chalhotra, and I am a third year arts student, majoring in anthropology and minoring in English language. Upon graduation, I will study for my Bachelors in Education, to become a high school teacher! I am delighted to be a part of this course and all that it both teaches and challenges us to do. I am definitely a “beginner blogger,” but I look forward to what…read more

5