Technology Education: A human approach

I have recently completed my final assignment for ETEC 511 and chose as my theme Phenomenology and Psychology| Role of educational technology in the development of an online presence and self-identity.  Here is an excerpt from the introduction to the paper.

In the digital age, technology and the internet dominate our learning environments, our workplace, and our homes.   How we use and interact with technology is changing how we see ourselves and interact with one another.   In the context of rapidly changing and expanding technological frameworks we must identify practices that sustain our sense of what it means to be human.  Our sense of identity and the richness of our social connections play a critical role in our mental and physical development and are key factors in our success, survival and happiness.  Education has played a key role in identifying and establishing healthy life practices in the past and can continue to so in the digital age.  It offers a rich environment for the development of the self and provides many opportunities for the rich social interactions.

In this paper, I argue that technology is a tool, not a prime mover. This is a critical distinction for our success and potential in current and future contexts for if it is our use of technology that is responsible for both negative and positive outcomes in the virtual and real worlds, then we need to look far beyond identifying barriers and impediments that delay or oppose technological process.   We must “wear [our] technological clothes lightly’ when approaching technology and society (Selwyn, 2012) and be aware of factors and influences that drive our use and design of technological frameworks and applications.

I have uploaded the full paper and it can be accessed via the link below.  Please feel free to provide your comments and feedback.

Technology Education: A human approach