Our first practice: THEY CALL ME COACH!

image                    image

This week it was our first practice as a team. I was very nervous to take the lead for the team.  I have always be a team player but this was the first time I was the team leader. I absolutely loved the feeling.

The first thing I did before starting the practice was give the girls an agenda of our practice so they knew what to expect. I started off with some running, skill training and then we played a game.

As we went on with the practice I made sure I did everything with the team. As a new educator I know students perform the best when their expectations are modeled for them. I did not want them to feel that I was a superior/upper position as them. We are a team and we are equals.

Our practice was cut short due to an assembly after lunch. Something I did not expect but we were able to adjust. Something educators have to do all the time.

At the end of the practice we debriefed as a team. The girls wanted to know how I would like to be addressed. I let them know they could call me Ms. N or Ms. Narwan. The girls asked if they could call me coach. I was happy with that. They call me COACH!

Just before the girls headed back to class one of the girls came up to me. She told me that she did not like basketball and was not really into the game, but she liked they way I coach. She said now she is going to commit to the team just for that reason. I did know how to respond . I was caught off guard, but at the same time I was overwhelmed with such a warming feeling.

Practice # 1 = SUCESS!

Read 1 comment