2:3 Stories of Home

After reading the lovely blogs of John, Navi, and Sandra – as well as writing my own blog, I’ve found some similarities we shared. All of our homes were different and yet our descriptions of home were so similar.

Sandra brought up a great point of not knowing what home is like until you leave it. She describes her discomfort while living in another’s house and how it is only now that she can properly appreciate how she feels at home. The stability and routine she knows felt boring, until she realized how much it effected her when living without it. In my blog, I brought up the feeling of being judged and how this is absent from a home. Sandra talks about wanting to leave a good impression of herself to her boyfriend’s parents and therefore she can never truly be at home there until she stops feeling judged.

Navi found home was linked with her mom. Her mom created the environment that she was used to and familiar with. Navi shared about her mother preparing tea in a specific way and Navi never drank the tea. However, once she was away from home Navi found herself preparing and drinking tea the way her mom would in order to bring some familiarity and comfort to her life.

Home is a feeling. A feeling of comfort. Honestly, a feeling of many different things to different people. John broke down specific aspects to the feeling of home, like the passage of time and saying goodbye. This is what I have taken away from this section. Home is not a place. A house is a place. Home, however, is a feeling.

As John said, “Home is not a pile of wood and bricks and steel.  It is a feeling, a collection of thoughts”.