3:5 King of Allusions

Find three examples of names that need to be spoken aloud in order to catch the allusion. Discuss the examples as well as the reading technique that requires you to read aloud in order to make connections. Why does King want us to read aloud?

I’ve certainly surprised myself reading this book. I’ve been spending a lot of time writing and reading about the importance of speaking stories aloud, and yet until I came upon this question I hadn’t attempted reading Green Grass Running Water aloud. It could have to do with the fact that I have reading a lot on buses and in public. I do believe, however, that I am not used to the act of oral storytelling and therefore I quickly resorted back to what I am accustomed to. I quietly read on my own, experiencing the story within my own head and imagination. King fills his story with allusions to popular culture and biblical references. There were many names to choose from, however the examples I use below I have chosen specifically because I had moments of inspiration after reading these names aloud. I am often called out by friends for always being the last to pick up on a joke, so I’m posting this knowing many others surely understood these allusions without having to say the words aloud.

thomas-king-quote

(“Quotes by Thomas King.”)

• Dr. Joe Hovaugh

When spoken, Dr. Hovaugh’s name sounds like ‘Jehovah’. Jehovah is an incredibly important name in biblical language as it is the name of the God of Isreal in the Hebrew bible, used as a personal name for God in many Christian bibles, understood as Jesus’s name before his birth in Mormonism, and even appears in the religious groups title ‘Jehovah’s Witness’. Across many religions, Jehovah is a memorable and significant name.

Giving Dr. Joe Hovaugh a name such as that puts him in a significant role. He is being compared with what Euro-centered cultures see as an almighty being. However, Dr. Hovaugh does not come across as such. This juxtaposition is seen when Dr. Hovaugh attempts to explain a pattern between the Indians disappearing and disasters, though he ends up looking like someone losing his mind (King, 47). The idea of him being all knowing is there and yet he is not good at it. This opens up discourse about whether or not a Christian God is important, especially to Aboriginal people.

• The Pinto
the pinto

(Brennan)

As George arrives in Blossom, he rents a car for his stay. After a mix-up he ends up with a run down Pinto. Ford made this car in the 70s and it became the largest recall up to that time after studies found the high likelihood of the car to catch fire and was listed in Times as one of the 50 worst cars of all time. The Pinto was named after a type of horse with black and white color patches. However, it wasn’t until I read the name aloud while referring to Jane Flick’s reading notes did I recognize the name Pinto from a different historical context. When Christopher Columbus sailed to the new world he came with a trio of boats. The Niña, the Santa Maria and the Pinta – a similar name to the Pinto. As Flick points out, the car is even said to look like a boat on page 27 (Flick, 146). This allusion goes further when the Pinto becomes one of three cars to go over the Dam. The other two cars having names that mimic the Niña and the Santa Maria. What I find significant about this allusion is that Columbas went to the new world thinking he was discovering a new land. After finding inhabitants, the Europeans went on to strip them of their culture and attempt to assimilate the people into European culture. The Europeans thought they were helping as they were under the assumption that any other culture was lesser. This narrative reminds me of George who went to Blossom thinking he was going to “save” Alberta from herself. Funnily enough, he shows up in a Pinto.

• Blossom

Blossom

(“Powerpuff Girls Photo: Blossom”)

While reading the novel, Blossom had little meaning to me besides a reminder of where the characters were in the story. The moment I spoke the word aloud I was instantly reminded of another meaning for the word, besides the leader of the Powerpuff Girls crew. Blossom has many different definitions. Used as a verb to mean, “to come into one’s own” (“Blossom”) is what struck me to being significant about the town’s name. All of the characters in Alberta’s are searching for themselves and looking to find where they are going in life. It is not a coincidence that they all end up in Blossom.

Brennan, Jim. “1978 Ford Pinto – Google Chrome 5252014 101238 AM.bmp.”Hooniverse.

N.p., 25 May 2014. Web. 15 July 2016.

“Blossom.” Merriam-Webster. Merriam-Webster, n.d. Web. 15 July 2016.

Flick, Jane. “Reading Notes for Thomas King’s Green Grass Running Water.Canadian  

Literature 161-162. N.p., 1999. Web. 16 July 2016.

King, Thomas. Green Grass, Running Water. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1993. Print.

“Powerpuff Girls Photo: Blossom.” Powerpuff Girls Images Blossom Wallpaper and  

Background Photos. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 July 2016.

“Quotes by Thomas King.” Like Success. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 July 2016.

9 Responses to 3:5 King of Allusions

1. Ashley Nicholson says:

Hi Stefanie, thanks for the interesting read! When I saw this question in the list, I knew it would come with some good answers that I would be excited to read. I also think you chose a really good quote from Thomas King! His entire novel reads as very well thought out, and it’s fun to point out all of the allusions he makes. I made the same one with Blossom!

• StefanieMichaud says:

Hi Ashley,

I absolutely agree! It was a very fun read, for sure. King very excellently tackles tough subjects mixed with humor, storytelling and charm.

~Stef~

2. natasha heine says:

Hi Stefanie,

When I read this question on the list I dismissed it almost instantly, because like you said you are, I’m also usually the last one to make those clever connections and pick up on the jokes. I am glad I read your post though because the only one I think I got was “Dr. Joe Hovaugh,” so it was interesting to see what some other references were. It really makes me think about the differences between oral storytelling and reading. King’s book is something unique because its a novel format that is structured to give you a better understanding of things when it is read out loud. This is not how we’re used to reading novels, so it feels strange for us university students who only ever read things quietly in our heads! I think King’s novel can be used to support the argument that oral cultures are not inferior to written cultures. When we don’t read things out loud with King’s novel we close our selves off to a whole new opportunity for understanding, which is what people do when they dismiss storytelling and oral cultures as a legitimate and valuable type of communication. Great post!

– Natasha

3. Hi Stefanie,

Thanks for your interesting blog post this week! I too am incredibly slow with jokes but I really liked the pictures you chose and the connections are sensible. Like Natasha said, not giving an oral story a chance is ignoring an missing out on key aspects. King’s work was a performance and needed to be performed. I really enjoyed the quote you chose as it adds another layer to the complexity and dynamics of King’s world. His comedic moments make the reads all that more enjoyable while discussing incredibly crucial ideas.

Best,

Navi

• StefanieMichaud says:

Hi Navi and Natasha,

The importance of oral storytelling and this novel being a performance is definitely what drew me to this question! Thank you both for your interesting thoughts. I agree that Green Grass Running Water is a wonderful example of the complexities and advantages of oral storytelling.

~Stef~

4. VictoriaWoo says:

Hi Stefanie!

Great post. I too spend most of my time on the bus/transit doing readings for class, so I dismissed this question when I first read it – good for you for being brave enough to take it on!

I also recognized the Dr. Joe Hovaugh allusion. You mention in your post that this character’s name connotates “Jehova,” putting him in a significant role; what exactly do you think this role might be in the larger context of the book?

Would love to hear your thoughts on this!

Victoria

• StefanieMichaud says:

Hi Victoria,

I think Dr. Hovaugh’s role is important to the novel because he runs the asylum. This is the story that centers around the four missing Indians. His role may not seem very important to the story, but the Indians run the story. This could be a commentary on what Jehovah’s real role is. As I state in my blog as well, theres a juxtaposition that puts Jehovah’s importance in question.

Thanks for your thoughts,
      ~Stef~

5. laryssa legan says:

Oh Gosh! I had the same with Blossom as well!! Hahah I enjoyed this so much. I loved the addition the power puff girl picture! I died a little inside!!
    Thank you so much
    Laryssa
    Why do you think that Blossom is so interesting to everyone

• StefanieMichaud says:

Hi Laryssa,

Blossom is the center point of the story and it brings all of the characters together. There is a central theme of growing and ‘blossoming’. I wanted to use Blossom the PowerPuff Girl to relate to others in the way that King’s allusions relate and make connections to many other pieces of literature and culture.

Thanks for your question,
      ~Stef~