“My Starbucks Idea” – Share. Vote. Discuss. See.

As a typical Starbucks fan, I became excited when I read Annie’s post (here), where she effectively describes the communication process which is demonstrated in the “Ideas in Action” blog. Aside from the service oriented approach that Starbucks employs with its baristas creating hand-crafted drinks for customers, this blog allows consumers to voice their ideas about anything Starbucks related, and highly popular ideas are often implemented in stores. One great example is to put names of customers on all beverage cups, a practice now adopted by every Starbucks I’ve visited in recent years. Not only are customers more likely to respond to the barista when their drink is ready for pick up, but the feeling that each drink is made personally for you is surely something that positively affects Starbucks (despite having a high density of store locations).

I agree that Starbucks acts as the sender and often uses the Internet as their communication channel (due to the high level of exposure it has with their target demographics of students and professionals), but what’s more important is the consumer involvement that exists on this blog. Various blog writers (who are employed by Starbucks) transmit their messages to consumers in the form of product endorsements, or simply promotional information.

In Annie’s post, she talks about the “Inside Story of Starbucks’ Tribute Blend” which chronicles the life of the coffee beans associated with that blend, and the journey that is accounted allows readers to better understand a bean’s path to their delicious cup of joe. By educating consumers, Starbucks is utilizing informational appeals, which increases the probability that those highlighted products will be purchased since it provides explanations for what benefits those products provide (such as the distinct taste of aged Sumatra coffee). After all, as mentioned in class, people don’t buy features, they buy benefits.